Friday, December 30, 2016

Funassyi mania at the Harajuku Funassyi Cafe! (Photo-essay)

On my first Japan trip of 2016, I got my first taste of bona fide Funassyi mania when I visited the branch of Funassyiland that takes up a good part of the ground floor of Kiddy Land's flagship store in Harajuku.  And on the final full day of my second Japan trip this year, I returned to Tokyo's kawaii capital to another hyper Pear-themed establishment: a limited period Funassyi Cafe that was way more Funassyi-fied than the Wired Cafes in Hong Kong had been when they were having Funassyi Fairs, complete with Funassy-themed food and drinks served on Funassyi-themed tableware!

Alas, unlike on one special day in Hong Kong this past July at the Wired Cafes, the actual Pear was not around when my party visited the Harajuku Funassyi Cafe.  Instead, I had to content myself with doing such as eating Funassyi-themed food, being entertained by the Funassyi-themed decor and Funa's Kitchen video playing on a screen projection on one wall, and hugging an adorable 90cm Funassyi plushie similar to one which visitors were also welcome to touch and pose with at the flagship Funassyiland in Funabashi... ;b    

The Funassyi insanity begins even before
one enters the Funassyi Cafe proper ;b

The genderless Pear can cook! :)

Funassyi figures abound in this cute cafe!

Should anyone wonder: we deliberately went 
during off-peak hours because we didn't want 
to have to contend with a crowd

My towering parfait (in Funassyi colors)
and a friend's can of beer ;b

 Yes, there's (nashi) pear in the parfait, and a Funassyi face!

My other friend's similarly kawaii looking  --
and sweet tasting -- Funassyi Cafe selection

 50cm Funassyi and Puppet Ponyo say
"Farewell and that's all folks, for now"! :)

7 comments:

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

I enjoy all your entries on the highly entertaining one known as the "Pear". The Funassyi Cafe looks like a fun place to visit. Also Funa Metal Rock videos have grown on me. Bright yellows in the Pear's realm can make one feel buoyant. I don't think the Pear will ever become bipolar because the genderless one is always in an "up" mood.

Bill

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

I would like to add that in the bottom photo, Funassyi is beaming with robust comradery, posing next to Puppet Ponyo. Yet Ponyo looks so small next to the Pear - and perhaps a little uneasy. I think Ponyo would look more comfortable if she was joined by her sisters, as in a previous photo you posted here earlier in the year.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

I'm happy to see your adoration of Funassyi confirmed and Puppet Ponyo reconfirmed. And yes: I see what you mean about the Pear seeming to intimidate Puppet Ponyo somewhat. As I'm sure you know, Puppet Ponyo's hardly a shy wallflower by any means but even so, the Pear's exuberance can make the pink plushie pale somewhat. So you'll be glad to know that Puppet Ponyo does tend to have her sisters nearby -- not just 50cm Funassyi...and Sleeping Bag Funassyi -- when she's at home... ;S

BTW, have you seen the entertaining Funassyi in Macau video series? If not, here's a link to one of them below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAIO58WZ2c

Goodbye HK, Hello YVR said...

Did you eat the Funassyi parfait???!!!

YTSL said...

Hi "The Fragrant Harbour" --

Yes, I did! It was on the sweet side. Guess I should have expected this since the Pear *is* such a sweet thing... ;)

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

Thanks for your link to Funassyi's adventures in Macau. The Pear's bungee jump is quite simply the absolute height of intrepid cuteness!

Bill



YTSL said...

Hi again Bill --

Your welcome re the link(s). Glad you enjoyed the videos! Seeing that the Pear has done such as go parasailing in Okinawa and taken part in a crazy gokart race in Italy and sledding competition in Germany, I think that if the weather had been better, it wouldn't have been a case of "Funassyi fail!" at the Macau Tower. Ah well, at least it was a case of "Funassyi win!" for the Portuguese/Macanese dance round... ;S