Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Red leaves, and pink Puppet Ponyo! :)

Puppet Ponyo and red leaves in Tokyo this past November :)
 
Puppet Ponyo and orangey-red leaves in Nagano in May!
 
There are many people who go to the Land of the Rising Sun in the fall expressly for its koyo season.  And the colorful autumn leaves are a pretty big deal among the Japanese too, with such as autumn color guides and reports being issued so that people know where are ideal locales to visit and what's the optimal time to do so.
 
Especially upon seeing that some of the leaves are redder than Puppet Ponyo (who's noticeably pinker than her plushie sisters and how the feisty character's depicted in Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea), I can understand some of the koyo passion, even mania.  And then there's their transient nature, which makes catching sight of these natural things of beauty feel even more precious than they'd otherwise be.
 
Especially when in Hakone last month, I really did appreciate how it is to be able to gaze at vast swathes of colorful fall foliage.  And seeing photos of such places as Shodoshima's Kankakei Gorge and Kyoto's Kiyamizudera in their autumn glory makes me want to re-visit those places when the koyo season's at its peak in those locales. 

At the same time though, there's something to be said for seeing a red-leafed tree out of season and among ones sporting the expected green leaves -- an experience that I actually had when strolling around the grounds of Nagano's magnificent Zenkoji this past May.  As evidence, I hereby furnish (at the top of this blog post) a snapshot of Puppet Ponyo posing amidst those bright orangey-red leaves.  And I don't know about you but she seems to me to be smiling a bit more in that photo than the one I took of her in Tokyo this fall! ;)

6 comments:

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

In this entry, Puppet Ponyo appears to be at the pinnacle of her traveler's exaltation. Posing before a vibrant koyo background, she looks just as youthful and radiant as when you first posted images of her on this site...Ponyo, if ever my mind should journey into an Aokigahara kind of forest, your presence as a nature spirit within me, would give me the strength to walk out of there - now, and forever.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

I agree with you that Puppet Ponyo can brighten moods. BTW, have you warmed up to Puppet Ponyo's Pear Fairy friend Funassyi yet? Hope so! ;)

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

You ask if I've warmed up to Funassyi? My answer is a resounding "yes!"

I had my Funassyi revelation recently on You Tube, watching the video "Explosion Prank," which I've now viewed dozens of times. I watch the pear fairy run past minefield-like explosions. Seen in a head-on shot through a telephoto lens, Funassyi sprints towards the viewer, accelerating past every explosion until she (he? genderless?) collapses at the finish. This makes me forget every green screen special effect of actors darting past obstacles and bombastic explosions in stupid Hollywood superhero movies.

Funassyi, you are the real thing. Your presence creates the atmosphere of a spontaneous happening in cyberspace. For me, your hyperactivity recalls the wacky behavior of children, but which we often lose contact with as adults (unless we are inebriated). Funassyi, in you I've found a kindred spirit. Funassyi, I acknowledge the Japanese genius for creating (and marketing) the realm of kawaii...Funassyi, I love you!"

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi again Bill --

I'm so happy to learn of your Funassyi revelation and ability to wax lyrical about The Pear (as I sometimes refer to the genderless pear fairy) as well as Puppet Ponyo! And I think I can count on you to enjoy my upcoming Funassyi-themed blog posts... ;b

That "Explosion Prank" video seems to be the one that converts a lot of people. I don't think I can point to a single one but will say I thoroughly enjoyed the yuruchara musical chairs event in Hokkaido this year, and think that it shows how fun Funassyi is to watch (and hear)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4DHfGL_iU

sarah bailey knight said...

Hi ytsl,

I am so glad Bill has "warned up to Funassyi"! Puppet Ponyo and Funassyi make your blog so much fun.

YTSL said...

Hi sarah sbk --

I think people who have only started reading my blog recently might find it really weird that I'm writing about Hong Kong politics one day, and then Puppet Ponyo and Funassyi on another. But, well, they all arouse passion in me. So...! ;)