Thursday, April 28, 2016

Some visual clues that show why Violet Hill is one of my favorite hiking spots on Hong Kong Island (photo-essay)

On what was only my fourth hike after moving to Hong Kong (back in 2007), a friend took another friend and me up Violet Hill from Wong Nai Chung Gap along Section 1 of the Wilson Trail.  While this Hong Kong Island hill has remained a favorite hiking spot, these days, I prefer to go up it along an alternative route that goes up two -- rather than just one -- of its three peaks, including the highest (by a few meters) which stands at 436 meters above sea level.

Then when one gets to the mountain pass known as Tsin Shui Wan Au, one is presented with a number of route options -- many of them pretty scenic.  While hiking with three friends one sunny afternoon, we decided to head down to Stanley from there via the southern section of the Tsz Lo Lan Shan Path -- but the photos from this latter section of the excursion will have to wait to be shared in another photo-essay as I've already got eight nice snaps to share taken during the earlier part of the trek! ;b

Yes, one can see Ocean Park from Violet Hill (though not,
if my memory serves me right, from the Wilson Trail)

 In any case, I reckon the sight of The Twins thrills and
stirs the heart of most hikers more than that of Ocean Park ;b

Yes, we're still close to the city but already in
an area that is green and can feel pretty wild!

 If you look carefully, you'll catch sight of critters like this 
brown grasshopper peeking out from the surrounding greenery :)

Here's offering up visual proof that not all 
Hong Kong hiking trails are paved paths :b
 I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing the Tai Tam Reservoirs
and Tai Tam Harbour from Violet Hill, 
especially on days when their waters are this blue

Zoomed-in view of a masonry bridge, dam and valve house
that feature on the Tai Tam Waterworks Heritage Trail 

From viewpoints like this, Hong Kong can look really idyllic :)

 To be continued soon...! 

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Been getting in my morning walks.
coffee is on

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Good for you! I'm not a morning person, so I prefer to hike in the afternoon and/or walk during evenings. :)