Thursday, June 18, 2020

Taking time for self-care and further reflections about what Hong Kongers want

The closest thing I've seen to a rainbow in recent days

Or maybe it'd be this (Yes, there still are Lennon Walls about
in Hong Kong -- but mainly on the walls of private establishments)



Having spent quite a bit of time out on Monday, I decided to stay in for much of Tuesday -- and, consequently, missed not only the sight of that convoy of police vehicles but, also, at least one rainbow -- and in some cases two! -- viewable from various points in Hong Kong.  And as it so happened, the most eyecatching news reported that day actually occured thousands of miles away from Hong Kong -- along another section of the Chinese border, involving a clash between Chinese and Indian troops, involving rocks and clubs(!), that left at least 20 people dead on one side alone!  (Oh, and the North Koreans blew up a liason office -- can you imagine what would happen if this occured to the Liason Office in Hong Kong?!)  

I did venture out again yesterday though.  Among other things, I decided to practice self-care by treating myself to a viewing of a Hong Kong movie I had wanted to see for months (but couldn't for weeks because of the cinemas having been closed because of the Wuhan coronavirus).  Ray Yeung's beautifully understated Suk Suk made for an involving watch.  

But while it is a very good film, its viewing did leave me feeling rather sad.  Watching a Hong Kong film in these troubled times, I guess it's inevitable that one will see personal meaning in it.  In this case, there's a moment in the movie when the lead character (sensitively played by Tai Bo) talks about how he's done well for himself since escaping from Mainland China during the Cultural Revolution to Hong Kong.  He has a family, a home, enough money.  What more should he want?

Well, in his case, it would be the freedom to live the way he really wants, and openly -- since he's a gay man who's been so closeted all his life that he got himself married with children and one grandchild (on whom he dotes).  And, really, that's what a lot of Hong Kongers want: to be able to have the freedom to live the way they really want, to not have to pretend to be someone/something else that they really don't feel that they actually are (even if other people think that's the case), to love who and what they want (without being told it's wrong).  To feel free, you know, to sing the songs they like and not the ones they don't.  To feel happy and safe in their home.  Rainbow or not, what a wonderful world it then would be.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I seldom listen to Pink Floyd these days, but 'Another brick in the wall part 2' may pop up in my mind from time to time.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

I'm not familiar with Pink Floyd's music but I Googled the lyrics of the song you mentioned -- and yes, can see why it pops up in your mind from time to time these days:

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Alan Parker made a movie out of that albumn (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084503/), you know. That was 1982. The Albumn was a little bit earlier. Maybe you should check on it sometime. Starring Bob Geldolf (of the British Band Boom Town Rats).

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

I know of that film... but it's not the kind that usually appeals to me! Who knows though... maybe at some point, I will be inclined to check it out. (BTW, I think you're generally much more of a music lover than me!)

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Not quite and its complicated. When I was kid, I guess I was spoiled by those physical comedies on b\w TV despite I do not know English back then. Those physical abuses (say the three stooges, or even earlier silent stuffs, Buster Keaton, Harrod Lloyd, Chaplin.....). Certainly the appreciation of these master entertainers won't come again until I understand the language. Those Albert & Costello sketches still get me rolling on the floor every time.

And then those British sitcom or comedy shows (thans to TVB Pearl back then)......

Some blockbusters I would surely go to cinemas if I could. But I do like dramatic stuffs if they are good. I have to admid I primarily watch foreign movies in the past decade or so, mostly on discs.

T

YTSL said...

Hi once more T --

Before anything else: by "physical abuses", you mean slapstick humor, right? ;)

Sounds like your first love was physical comedies but that you've branched out since. I went for decades without watching Hong Kong movies but now would consider it a loss to not have Hong Kong movies in my diet. With regards to genres: I think I'm prepared to watch a range though I must admit to trying to avoid supernatural horror -- and, in fact, don't think I've watched one of them in five years!

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Ah, so slapstick is the term. Well, as a kid, even if I could not comprehend the words, these physical mayhem gets through (looney tunes, anyone?).

The time when I was really into movies was when I started working. I used to take some annual leave and go to HKFF in the late 1980s\early 1990s. There was once or twice I went all in for five movies in three venues on the same day......

Couldn't afford these extra-curricular activities these days. Maybe when I'm retired, I may pick it up again.

T

YTSL said...

Hi once again T --

Yeah, slapstick. Funnily enough, I enjoy Japanese slapstick (cf some of Yoji Yamada's films) as well as -- and maybe even more than -- the old Hollywood ones. Maybe because it's often mixed in with heartwarming drama too in a single movie.

I'm not a fan of watching more than two movies in a day. And even then: at one HKIFF years ago, I watched "Hotel Rwanda" over at the Hong Kong Cultural Centre and then went over to watch "Delamu" over at City Hall. I'm sure the latter's a good film but it lost all possibility of having an emotional impact because a good part of that screening, I was still trying to deal with having watched "Hotel Rwanda", which had me openly bawling like a baby even on the ferry ride in between the two venues!