Saturday, November 7, 2020

A rejuvenating hike up to Ma On Shan Country Park's Ngong Ping Plateau and then down to Mui Tsz Lam with a good friend (Photo-essay)

 
But I'm in better spirits than might be expected -- thanks to having spent time hanging out with a few friends in recent days.  For example, today saw me going on a rejuvenating hike on what turned out to be a beautiful blue sky afternoon up to the Ngong Ping plateau in Ma On Shan Country Park and then down to Mui Tsz Lam with the woman that I often describe as my oldest friend in Hong Kong (not in age but in terms of the length of our friendship!).   

More than incidentally, this particular friend of mine was one of the people who was at Admiralty on June 12th when the police started firing tear gas and beating up anti-extradition bill protestors.  And while hiking this afternoon, we couldn't help but talk about our fears of what all that inhaling of tear gas has done to our lungs (since we are among those Hong Kongers who've inhaled it more times now than we can actually remember).  At the same time though, we actually did manage to complete the hike okay -- and even enjoy our afternoon's countryside excursion (which really did offer up a number of splendid sights).  So I guess we're more resilient than we might think... and, yes, really do f**king love Hong Kong!
 
A beautiful day for a hike in the Hong Kong countryside!
 
Quite a few cows decided the Ngong Ping plateau
was the place to be this afternoon too! ;b
 
Pyramid Hill dominates the landscape at the plateau
 
The actual plateau is visually not to be sniffed at too! :)
 
Ditto, especially on a clear day like today, the view from
Ngong Ping plateau of Sai Kung town and the peninsula beyond!
 
It was hard to tear ourselves away from the Ngong Ping plateau
but there were other sections of trail to go on
 
At Mui Tsz Lam, I looked back up at the mountains
and caught sight of this series of seasonal waterfalls
(which I had never seen on my previous visits to the area!)
 
Also not seen on my previous visit to the area: this terraced

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I finally got a day off after almost three years. Went for a bike trip from Chinese University to Yuen Long on 2nd Nov. About 40 Km, but I fell off the bike at Ho Sheung Heung owing to riding too close to the side. Nothing series, just a scratch on my left knee with some bruses. Well, I have to admit, not bad for a guy having my last bike trip for more than a decade. Had my heart rate got up to close to 150 at times that day. Average speed was a bit below 20 Km. That was a hot day.

The most unplesant thing was I got a punctured front tyre after going through the subway that had had a serious accident for a mom and her kid in September. Had to push the bike for the rest of the trip to Yuen Long to return it. The subway is generally a bend with a zig-zag within. Very unusual design.

The so called Cycling Track between Yuen Long and Sheung Shui is a joke though. Too often one has to get off the bike and push for 50-100 metres for the next sketch, then rid for just 50-100 metres, one has to get off again. Whoever design the track should have his pay grade bumped down a few levels.

T

peppylady (Dora) said...

55 days for littering. Gee I don't think there is a littering fine or jail time where I live. Usual people who break the law, the minor ones can do community service. I have seen prisoners picking up trash.
Stay Safe and Coffee is on

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Wow re your having had only one day off in close to three years! That sounds worst that is the case for even most infamously workaholic Japanese salarymen!

Thanks for the account re your bike ride on the (relatively) new cycling track. Had only recently heard about it and wondered if it'd be good to check out. Hmmm after your account of your bike ride along it!

Hi peppylady --

It's not littering per se since that man only threw one can. So yes, I agree that the penalty he received was truly excessive and hardly just.

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I have all Friday afternoons off for this month. I should be able to take 13 days off next Month so I should be able to cash in all my entitled Annual Leave this year. Not that bad after almsot three years without annual leave. I recognized I had been victim of circumstances, say, former teammates jumped ship (three of them, including the then team leader, and the company being bought out).

May take another bike trip on a working though as there are many sections of the older tracks that I have not ridden on for years. But I may start at Tuen Mun for I have never ridden there before. I have walked along some of the tracks though. Suggest NOT to do it on Sundays and public holidays.

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

I hope you'll enjoy all your days of leave this momth and next. BTW, I've taken to staying in all day on Sundays for some months now because I've figured that it's the day of the week that has the most people out and about. My personal contribution to helping with social distancing that day!