Saturday, February 2, 2013

Daub and Looking Out of Your Window (This week's Photo Hunts)


At Art HK 12, I came across an art work I found fascinating because it looked like the artist had started off by fairly randomly putting daubs of paint on his canvas, then turning them into the bodies of many different individuals to depict a colorfully clad crowd of people. 

Ironically, although I think the artist (whose name I unfortunately have forgotten) made it so that his work needs to be examined both from up close as well as from afar, and from the side (where the three-dimensional nature of his daubs becomes most apparent) as well as front, the exhibitor of his works at the Hong Kong art fair seemed most upset when people went about doing this! And I also didn't think that the American exhibitor -- a gallery from New York that was taking part in the art fair for the first time in 2012, if I recall correctly -- was prepared for the number of people going about taking photos of the art on show -- something that is expected behavior in click-happy Hong Kong, especially post the advents of phones that also have camera capabilities!

Hopefully the exhibitor as well as artist would be happy to know that viewing art works at art fairs like Art HK 12 (and, for that matter, Art HK 09, Art HK 10 and Art HK 11) can serve to inspire folks like me to look at the world through more artistic lenses when doing such as taking photos. As an example, here's offering up -- and yes, this is one of the biggest stretches I've made to combine Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunt themes into a single entry! -- an "artistic" shot of what I see when looking out of my window!

A story from the last time I went apartment hunting: many Hong Kongers aspire to have apartments offering up scenic views, especially of Victoria Harbour.  But as I told my property agent, I really am not one of those people.  The sad reason is that there are days when the air is so polluted that one can't see across the harbour. And like I told her, on days like that, if I wake up to such a view, I'd feel really reluctant to get out of bed!  

When the property agent showed me the apartment that I did decide to go for, one of the things she said about it is "No view!"  By this, she meant that it looks out to other buildings for the most part.  In all honesty, I don't mind at all -- and, in fact, find the views can be pretty fascinating -- and, best, of all, often make me think "my goodness, it looks like I'm living in the middle of a Hong Kong movie set!"  And a bustling, high density one that's typically alive with people and color at that! :)

15 comments:

Susan Demeter said...

Wow that is some neat looking artwork!

alejna said...

I have to say that I like the view from your window! I imagine that the reflections change throughout the day, depending on light.

eastcoastlife said...

I am attracted to the outstanding artwork. I am interested in the artist who creates such a cool art.

You are buying an apartment in HK? It must be pretty expensive. Do you plan to buy an apartment in Penang for investment?

magiceye said...

Love your takes!

Gattina said...

It's not such a bad view ! With good binoculars you could even watch your neighbors, lol ! Always take things from the positive side !

YTSL said...

Hi Sue --

It's pretty neat, especially when you look from the side and up close! ;b

Hi Alejna --

To be honest, I don't look out of the window that much when I'm in my apartment. (I look at the computer screen or books more... ;b) But it can indeed sometimes be interesting. :)

Hi EastCoastLife --

The wonderful thing about Art HK 12 was that I actually saw artwork which I considered more outstanding than this -- though it still did grab my attention.

And no, don't plan to buy an apartment in Hong Kong -- at least until after I get permanent residency. But in all honesty, I don't feel a compulsion to buy apartments anywhere in the world any time soon! ;D

Hi magiceye --

I'm glad you do. :)

Hi Gattina --

The way I live my life, I don't spend that much time looking out of the windows of my apartment. Put it another way: I rather be out in the world rather than be content to watch the world go bye outside my windows... :D

Anonymous said...

Those daubs of paint are colourful! It looks like an interesting art display.

Have a good weekend.

Carver said...

The paintings are very interesting. I like the idea of looking at them from different perspectives. I guess given the choice of smog or another building I might prefer looking out at a building. one of my sisters lives in Manhattan and most of her view is buildings but if you look out one corner you can make out a little bit of Central Park which I like for the green.

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, your first photo was interesting to me and I immediately clicked on it. I wasn't sure what it was. At first I thought it was a food presentation. (shows where my mind is this early in the morning). But then seeing the wider shot and read your post, I then realized that it was a wonderful piece of art and these daubs were people. Very, very cool!

I love perspective of the photo with the view from your window.

I think I'm with you, here at home, I don't really look out of my window and when I do I'm always thinking I should be outside in the sunshine, rather than looking at it. :) Have a great weekend.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Those are some cool pics for this theme!

Mine is up for this week;
My Saturday Photohunt

peppylady (Dora) said...

Interesting..coffee is on

A. said...

I rather think your wonderful reflections from the window are more artistic than the daubs above. :) Don't tell the artist though.

YTSL said...

Hi JDeQ --

Art HK 12 was interesting and amazing. And yes, am planning to attend the 2013 edition! :)

Hi Carver --

To be fair, Hong Kong isn't *always* smoggy. But I still don't think a view is worth the extra expense!

Hi Trekcapri --

One of the great things about where I live is its convenient location. Shops, restaurants, buses, MTR (underground train), tram, even ferry! So when I want to go out... ;b

Hi TC Harris --

Thanks! :)

Hi peppylady --

Thanks, I think... ;b

Hi A. --

Aw, you made my day with that comment. Thank you very much indeed! :)

Vane M. said...

A imagem da obra de arte é realmente interessante. Um abraço!

YTSL said...

Hi Vane M. --

Glad you find the artwork interesting -- and maybe my photo of the view from my building too? ;b