Saturday, February 16, 2013

Miniscule and Food Photos (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


By itself, this week's theme for Sandi's Photo Hunt posed quite a bit of a challenge for me.  This is because, the way I see it, truly miniscule objects are really hard to see, let alone photograph!  So I contemplated concentrating instead solely on Gattina's chosen Photo Hunt theme this week -- except while surveying my hardly miniscule collection of food photos, I got to realizing that I had indeed found some snaps that could fit both of this week's Photo Hunt themes!

First, I decided on a photo of a small plate of tiny fried fish that some restaurants here put on the table for you to munch (like peanuts) as you contemplate what you want to order for your dim sum lunch that day. Then, if that's not miniscule enough, I went for something even smaller. 

For those of you looking at the middle photo above and thinking "no way is that large plate of fried rice miniscule!", I call your attention to the tiny bright orange bits on it that, to me, are actually the best part of the dish.  Known as tobiko in Japanese, flying fish roe were my favorite sushi ingredient as a kid. 

Over the years, I've developed an appreciation for various kinds of roe utilized by Chinese and Japanese cooks and chefs. And it's here in Hong Kong that I've discovered a traditional Cantonese dish that features an unlikely combination of pomelo skin (which I previously hadn't realized is edible), broccoli (whose Cantonese name of sai lan fah translates into Western orchid flower!) and shrimp roe that's so miniscule that they appear like mere specks in my photo of this particular dish! ;b

15 comments:

Susan Demeter said...

Perfecto choices for both themes! Mmmm sushi! :)

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, this is saliva-inducing post.

Vane M. said...

O cardápio me pareceu espetacular! Um abraço!

Annie said...

Yum! I love dim sum (a few places have it here in NC) but I can tell it's even better in Hong Kong.

Hope you have a great weekend. :)

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, great photo collection for the two themes. I had to see the larger photo to take a closer look at the tiny roe on your fried rice (cool orange color and great presentation). They are really tiny on your last dish.

Wonderful take to combine the two themes. Have a great weekend!

magiceye said...

Wonderful takes on the themes!

Carver said...

The food all looks delicious. Great take on the themes.

YTSL said...

Hi Sue --

Am glad the photos got your mmmm-ing. :)

Hi ewok1993 --

Cool! I was wondering if the miniscule fried fish would horrify people... ;b

Hi Vane --

Thanks -- and a hug to you too! :)

Hi Annie --

No offence but I don't think dim sum can be beat in Hong Kong! ;b

Hi Trekcapri --

Did you click to enlarge the last photo? Hope so! :)

Hi magiceye --

Thanks!

Hi Carver --

I'm glad you reckon so! :)

Gattina said...

I have eaten these little fishes somewhere, but I can't remember. they are delicious !

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

I've only ever been served these snacks at dim sum restaurants. But there are also anchovies that you have with nasi lemak in Malaysian dishes... have you had that? :)

eastcoastlife said...

pomelo skin can be eaten!? That I got to try when I go to HK.

alejna said...

Great job tying the themes together!

I also didn't know that pomelo skin was edible. I know people eat citrus rind in marmalade, but I never knew that people would eat such a large amount of it. Huh.

YTSL said...

Hi EastCoastLife --

Yes, pomelo skin really can be eaten! To me, the texture is a mix of meaty and gooey -- and yes, it's an acquired taste but I like it. :)

Hi Alejna --

Oh yeah re marmalade -- and in England, there's thick and medium as well as thin cut versions of marmalade, so some people there sure do like their citrus rinds. BTW, Chinese people also like their orange peels -- dried and preserved, they make for an interesting snack. :)

Raine said...

It's not yet lunch and my stomach growling at the second picture. :D

YTSL said...

Hi Raine --

Hope you had a good lunch after looking at the pictures! :)