Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Not your usual Tung Chung area sights? (Photo-essay)

Some trails are so good that they're worth hiking more than once.  I know I've written this before but it's worth repeating because I really do think it's true.  What's more, it can make for a really different experience when you hike it with different people.

In this case of the hikes from Tung Chung to Tai O: I didn't only go on the trail with different hiking buddies the second time around but we varied the route a bit (particularly early on) from the first time I went along it.  Consequently, I do have photos from the second hike I want to share that differ from those I shared of the first Tung Chung to Tai O hike I went on a few years previously (see here, here and here!) -- including the following:-

View of Tung Chung (including one section of Ngong Ping 360)
from near the ruins of the Qing Dynasty era Tung Chung Battery

View taking in high rise Tung Chung 
and low rise (and coastal) Ma Wan Chung

A make-shift shrine located near Tung Chung's Hau Wong Temple

 View early on the trail of sections of Ngong Ping 360
and a still occupied village house in a prime location 
in terms of scenic qualities :)

Looking back at sections of Ngong Ping 360
and Tung Chung town (on a gray day)

Yes, even in the 21st century, some Hong Kongers still
live in more traditional, non-high rise housing ;b

...and the postman still visits and delivers too! :)

And yes, one reason I love hiking in Hong Kong
is that it reveals glimpses of an old Hong Kong
that many people still don't realize still exists :)

2 comments:

Goodbye HK, Hello YVR said...

I like the contrast of the old houses and the modern letter boxes! But I don't think anyone is living in the house in the last picture...

YTSL said...

Hi The Fragrant Harbour --

Agreed that the last house doesn't appear to be lived in. But wouldn't put it past the owners to return every once in a while to do things like pray to the ancestors there...