Tuesday, June 12, 2012

From Jardine's Lookout to Mount Butler (Photo-essay)


While getting ready to "work" on this blog entry, I got to realizing that this will be my fourth consecutive hiking-themed/related blog post in a row.  Should anyone wonder, yes, I really do do other things in Hong Kong besides go hiking.  However, it's also true enough that I take far more photos while out hiking than when doing anything else in the Big Lychee.  

Hopefully though, when viewing the photo-essays taken while hiking one beautiful spring afternoon from Wong Nai Chung Gap to Jardine's Lookout and then from that 433 meters high Hong Kong Island peak on to 417 meters high Mount Butler (which Wikipedia alternatively states is 436 meters high) before descending down to busy near sea level King's Road, you'll understand why this is the case!  And if this and others of my hiking photo-essays make you want to go out into the Hong Kong countryside, all the better! :b

See?  I'm far from the only person who gets the urge
to take photos from atop Jardine's Lookout! ;b

Not to rub it in -- but this photo really does not do
the splendid view that stretched for miles real justice

...and while some consider this quarry just to the east
of Jardine's Lookout to be an eyesore, I find it
an interesting and eye-catching sight

Of course, one also has to make sure to not get
too distracted by the unfolding views -- because it
really wouldn't do to slip and fall on this trail!

Evidence that these views don't come for free
-- in that one does need to use up some energy
to go along this trail! ;)

and the surrounding landscape from atop Mount Butler

 A butterfly spotted on Mount Butler that looks like
it flew straight out of fairyland!

Suffice to say that I spotted a number of butterflies on
Mount Butler that afternoon -- and that at least one pair 
of them were busy... getting very intimate indeed! ;b

5 comments:

Emilie said...

Fantastic butterflies. I love this spot.

eliza bennet said...

This one looks like a trail I'd love to hike.

YTSL said...

Hi Emilie --

The butterflies really were the icing on the cake atop Mount Butler that day. :)

Hi "eliza bennet" --

Well, it's quite a bit more difficult than the Lamma Family Walk but since you've scaled Mount Fuji, it shouldn't pose too much of a problem for you. ;b

eliza bennet said...

Pffffttt that was back in the day but since last year I managed to do the Koko head without collapsing anytime during the hike, it makes me happy to say I still got at least some of what I got back then thank God.

YTSL said...

Hi again "eliza bennet" --

Heheh... sounds like you've still got much of that energy, ability and zest! ;b