Saturday, January 4, 2014

Aqua and Wheels (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


Once the wheels started turning in my brain, I quickly realized that I had plenty of photos that would fit both the themes chosen this week for Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunt -- thanks in no large part to Hong Kong having a significant amount of coastline since its territory includes 263 islands, a number of which are inhabited, and Hong Kong having more cyclists than is often realized!

It further helped my efforts to find photos of wheeled vehicles -- particularly bicycles -- in settings where significant amounts of aqua (specifically sea water!) that cycling is a major mode of transportation on islands including Cheung Chau and Peng Chau where cars are not allowed, and villages by the water such as Mui Wo.  Still, it felt like a bonus that, while hunting through my photo archive, I came across the second photo from the top of this blog entry -- one featuring a rescue dinghy atop the wheeled contraption that tows it onto Clear Water Bay's prosaically named Beach Number Two (AKA Second Beach)!

Taking one's attention away from the wheeled vehicles for a bit, I fnd it somewhat ironic that the most aqua colored water in the photos is in the photo with the least amount of water visible in it!  And should anyone wonder, the above shots were taken in (from the top): Cheung Chau (by Tung Wan Beach), Clear Water Bay Beach Number Two, and Mui Wo (near the ferry pier) respectively! :) 

P.S. I love that top-most photo so much I have a feeling that I've put it up before on this blog -- but never mind if I have!

14 comments:

magiceye said...

Superb takes! I could not get a combo pic.

eastcoastlife said...

I haven't learnt to ride a bicycle :P I prefer walking although it is tiring and I cannot go far. I thought the beaches of HK would be overcrowded with a bigger population than Singapore.

Gattina said...

I have an overdose of bicycles ! When I go to Amsterdam I always risk my life, there are no cars to run you over but bikes coming from all sides with no attention to the walking people ! In an average there are 5 bikes per person in the Netherlands ! Imagine !

MaR said...

Ýou found the perfect picture for both themes!! I did not, and therefore I even re-posted one shot ;)

photohunts

YTSL said...

Hi magiceye --

Too bad about your not getting a combo pic but the one you have for this week is pretty cool nonetheless!

Hi EastCoastLife --

I know how to ride a bicycle but actually haven't done so in Hong Kong. Re Hong Kong's beaches: some are less crowded than others, even on weekends! :)

Hi Gattina --

Maybe the thing to do in Amsterdam would be to join the bicyclists! ;b

Hi Marcy --

I think I found perfect pictureS actually... hehe! ;b

Carver said...

You had great shots for combining the themes. Happy New Year to you and yours!

The Social Frog said...

Great shots!

Susan Demeter said...

The beach looks inviting :) Would love to cycle around there.

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, these are perfect photos for the two themes. I really like the composition of the first photo. The last photo reminds me of Amsterdam as well. Biking is more of a leisure thing here, but in the City they are trying to build more bike lanes in the downtown area so bikers can use it for more than just leisure but for their mode of transportation.

YTSL said...

Hi Carver --

Thank you, and happy 2014 to you too!

Hi The Social Frog --

Thanks!

Hi Sue --

Clear Water Bay Second Beach is very nice indeed. As for Tung Wan Beach, there's actually a nicer -- as in quieter -- beach next to it that I prefer to go to when I'm in Cheung Chau... :)

Hi Trekcapri --

The government here seems to think of cycling as primarily a leisure activity but there actually are a number of people who use bicycles as a major means of transportation!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

The color of the water truely Aqua ~ I would love to hop on one of those bikes are pedal around.
Happy Hunting ~

YTSL said...

Hi Sandi --

To me, only the water in the third photo from the top is truly aqua colored but I'm glad you think otherwise! ;)

Anne said...

No wonder you love that first photo, it is fabulous! As are the others, but that one especially catches my eye :)

YTSL said...

Hi Anne --

Am glad you like my photos, especially the first one on this entry. :)