Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Critter spottings and scenic views along a Tai Lam Country Park hike (Photo-essay)

A few years back, Ulaca blogged about a hike in Tai Lam Country Park he went on that took him to a Fire Lookout Post that stood some 555 meters above sea level.  While in the area one Sunday afternoon, I decided to detour to that spot and also up a 474 meter high hill that I previously had just gone around.

If not for those detours, the route taken would have been one that I'd gone on a few times previously.  But, truly, they help add some spice as well as variety to my hikes -- and ditto re the different flora and fauna spotted along the way at different times of the year! ;b

A shy Punchinello butterfly spotted nestling 
amidst some green leaves

 The fire lookout and the view to its northeast

This scenic green view to the north of Tai Lam Country Park 
is one that could not be had on a less clear day!

 Another pretty butterfly spotted along the hike

The coloring tells me it's a moth I see while all I can think
of its shape is that it looks so cool!

They may look like bits of shit to some but
methinks they're a kind of caterpillar (or cocoon at least)!

View of Tsuen Wan and Tsing Yi from atop the
unnamed 474 meter high hill near Shek Lung Kung

Spotting -- and managing to clearly photograph -- 
this green grasshopper perched atop a green railing
was something that made my day! :b

4 comments:

Goodbye HK, Hello YVR said...

Hi YTSL -- Great photos of the insects thanks to your new camera!

YTSL said...

Hi The Fragrant Harbour --

Er... actually no, these photos were taken with my old Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ2. (As a general rule of thumb: my Tuesday hike photo-essays are from older hikes whereas my Sunday hike photos are of more current ones.)

alejna said...

Beautiful photos! That green-on-green grasshopper is really striking.

YTSL said...

Hi Alejna --

Thanks! I think you'd have enjoyed the photo opportunities this hike offered up too... ;)