Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ripple and Two (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


At the risk of stating the obvious: ripples on the water are a photographer's delight.  So Sandi can easily be excused for choosing it as a Photo Hunt theme even though ripples had previously featured as a Photo Hunt under tnchick's tenure.  

The last time around, I had gone for shots of calm waters in typhoon shelters -- and that's the case again this second time around! For my mark two version of a ripple-themed Photo Hunt entry though, I've gone away from Hong Kong Island deep into the New Territories, specifically the relocated fishing village of Sam Mun Tsai on the shore of Tolo Harbour.

More than two years ago now, a good friend and I had gone hiking in the area.  Before heading to Tai Po for dinner, we decided to hang out and watch the sunset at a locale the two of us found scenic in daytime but were to discover could be really beautiful when the setting sun's rays illuminated the water and accentuated the lines of its ripples.

Almost needless to say, we both took far more than just two photographs while we out there that day!  But for this entry, I've restricted myself to just offering up one daylight snap with two boats in the foreground -- expressly for Gattina's choice of Photo Hunt theme this week -- and a further two shots taken later, during what, for me, felt like a magical time that day. :)

14 comments:

Carver said...

These are both very beautiful shots. The colors in the ripples are breathtaking.

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, wow what gorgeous photos! Lovely all three of them and perfect for the two themes. They have this tranquil feel to them.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Horsoon said...

These were certainly magical shots! I especially love the layers of background of the 2nd photo :)

YTSL said...

Hi Carver --

I'm glad you think highly of my photos. :)

Hi Trekcapri --

There was indeed a tranquil feel to the place at the time that I took the photos. And yes, I love how there are these quiet places in Hong Kong to be "discovered" and enjoyed. :)

Hi Horsoon --

Thanks for liking the background in the 2nd photo. BTW, the pictured mountain (with the two tower-like structures at the top) is Tai Mo Shan, Hong Kong's highest peak. :)

Bing said...

it must be very lovely to watch the transition. the ripples being accentuated made the beautiful photos.

eastcoastlife said...

Beautiful shots! Didn't imagine a fishing village can be so beautiful. I will have to find a fishing village in Malaysia for a try at such shots. :)

Anonymous said...

Great shot of ripples for this week's theme!

Have a good weekend.

Annie said...

You captured some truly beautiful images during that magic time. :)

Susan Demeter said...

Great pics and I do like the feel of the last two pics too. Like you said certain times of the day and under certain circumstances are definitely magical :)

YTSL said...

Hi Bing --

It was lovely indeed, with seemingly each new minute yielding more and more beautiful sights! A real memory to treasure. :)

Hi EastCoastLife --

Sure, go and have a go in Malaysia! I should too, some time in Malaysia, I mean -- only there, I tend to fixate on food shots... ;b

Hi JDeQ --

Thanks, and hope you have a good weekend too.

Hi Annie --

Thanks, I'm glad you think so too! :)

Hi Sue --

That day as a whole was pretty amazing sights wise, with the sunset ones the icing on the cake. :)

Gattina said...

Loves the boats, nice photo for a painting !

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

Ya, I could imagine the area being a painter's delight too! :)

Anne said...

Beautiful colours! Great choices for this week. Ripples on the water are mesmerizing.

YTSL said...

Hi Anne --

Thanks for your comments and appreciation. :)