Saturday, December 17, 2022

An enjoyable excursion to a revitalised Yim Tin Tsai (Photo-essay)

It's currently cold enough in Hong Kong that I'm wearing a Norwegian sweater (bought when I visited Norway and went on a Hurtigruten cruise back in 2015) and also thermal underwear!  And the temperatures are expected to drop further tomorrow before gradually rising to more comfortable levels once more next week.  The cold weather's also been accompanied by some rain in recent days.  So the friend I went with to Yim Tsin Tsai earlier this week and I count ourselves pretty lucky that the rain only started falling only at the tail end of our excursion to the Sai Kung area island that I had not been to since 2013.   

A lot has changed since my first visit to Yim Tin Tsai.  Among other things, the Occupy phase of the Umbrella Movement happened (in 2014), as did the anti-extradition bill protests of 2019 and China's imposition on a national security law on Hong Kong (on June 30th, 2020).  On a personal note: one of the friends I explored the island with back in 2013 is no longer in Hong Kong (and two others of our party of six that day are due to leave next month).  

Yim Tin Tsai has changed a bit too -- and, it seems, for the better.  For one thing, it doesn't seem to be abandoned anymore.  Also, the scene has been enlivened by such as its playing host to the Sai Kung Hoi Arts Festival (which opened last month and scheduled to go on for three years) whose art installations and cheerful volunteers helped make a cool (temperature-wise) gray day actually enjoyable and metaphorically cool! 
 
View from the back of the boat that took us
 from Sai Kung over to Yim Tin Tsai
 
An early reminder that Yim Tin Tsai is a Christian
 
The island's chapel (whose size I think of as more like 
that of a church) was closed when I previously visited
 
Happily, I was able to see the inside of St. Joseph's Chapel
this time around, and what an impressive interior it has!
 
Something else I was happy to see: that Yim Tin Tsai's 
 
One of the cooler art installations: Joseph Chan's Water Dragon 
-- a (hu)man-powered dragon spine water wheel! 
 
Not an art installation but, instead, the doorway of
an old house that looks like people are planning to 
renovate and live in/re-use at some point in the near future
 
The boat that took my friend and I back to Sai Kung
(sans dog, who looked interested in going on it too) :)

No comments: