Saturday, December 31, 2022

Red leaves and critter spottings at the Hong Kong Wetland Park :) (Photo-essay)

I'm loath to have my final post of 2022 be a depressing one.  So here's going ahead and sharing some photos from my most recent excursion to the Hong Kong Wetland Park along with the following (true) story: On my most recent visit to this Tin Shui Wai facility before this one a few years ago, I encountered a larger number than previously of loud Mainland Chinese/Putonghua-speakers and, perhaps coincidentally, fewer birds.  There also was construction going on nearby and I got to worrying that the wildlife that was free to go as they please would stop visiting the area.  

Fast forward to this week's visit; with my first impressions being one of shock at how many more residences and shops there now were nearby; with work on the first phase of Wetland Seasons Park having completed earlier this year.  Also, even while the Hong Kong-Mainland China border has yet to fully reopen (though that is due to happen very soon), this was the first I had to queue for several minutes to buy admissions ticket to the Hong Kong Wetland Park!
 
Still, a few minutes after I got into its grounds, I was able to get away for the most part from the crowds.  And best of all: this 2022 visit may well be my best yet for bird watching; with my seeing a great many more birds than I remembered doing so on my most recent visit before this one as well as quite a variety!  So my fears about the birds staying away from the area look to be unfounded, and maybe nature -- and the world in general -- is more resilient than we realize... :)
 
Pui Pui, the saltwater crocodile that is the Hong Kong
Wetland Park's most famous resident
 
This clump of red-leaved trees appeared to be the Hong Kong 
Wetland Park's biggest attraction this time around!
 
While many cameras were trained at the red leaves, I think
 mine was the only trained at the water lilies in the nearby pond ;b
 
Lots of great cormorant spottings to be had at the park :b
 
Lookit the long legs on the black-winged stilt!
 
The easily recognizable black-faced spoonbills 
and one gray heron in the mix for good measure :)
 
I don't know the name of this bird because I couldn't
find a picture of a member of its species on the
Hong Kong Wetland Park website! :O
 
The critter I was most excited to have spotted (and on
a red leaf, no less!): some kind of mantis whose face
I think cartoonishly cute! :b

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Using Image seargr right on your photo yielded one of these:

https://besgroup.org/2019/05/26/daurian-redstart-phoenicurus-auroreus-auroreus/

T

peppylady (Dora) said...

We don't have many reptiles around here. Just to cold. No poisonous snake either. But alligators and crocodiles makes me un-easy.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Thank you! First time I've heard of the Daurian Redstart!

Hi peppylady --

We have lots of reptiles in Hong Kong, including poisonous snakes! I've actually not seen any snakes for a time. Can't say I'm entirely unhappy about this!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

And this too: https://johnjemi.blogspot.com/search?q=redstart

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

That's a great Hong Kong birding blog that you've linked to there! :)