Saturday, September 25, 2010

Natural (This week's Photo Hunt theme)





In view of my spending a considerable amount of my leisure time in Hong Kong out hiking in its countryside (and giving my shutterbug tendencies free rein while doing so), it's only natural that I have tons of shots to choose from for this week's Photo Hunt. At the same time though, I also can't resist offering up a snap that was not taken while out hiking. And in fact, I was far up in the air on an aeroplane when I took the top-most photo in this blog entry -- with multiple layers of clouds, some of which I think you will agree can appear like far away mountain ranges at first glance!

With regards to the other photos: I know of people who hike primarily for exercise -- and consequently don't only have a tendency to move about at a pace that leaves me literally gasping but also don't bring such things as cameras with them on their hikes. My regular hiking companion and I, on the other hand, knew that we had found each other's ideal hiking partner when, while out hiking with a large group one day, we noticed the other often stopping to not only take photos but also pause to just admire views and smell the roses.

Especially when one is living -- and hiking -- in a part of the world where, alas, there are days when the skies aren't always as bright blue as one would like but, instead, misty, foggy or even downright smoggy, I think it's good to train oneself to focus on -- and appreciate -- the small things and bits of natural beauty than get offered up (rather than just fixate on grand vistas or the lack thereof). In this way, I've come to not only enjoy the sight of a whole variety of colorful wild flowers but also Hong Kong's wildlife (though it's also true enough that, given a choice, I would like to steer clear of feral dogs and monkeys and any kind of snake, especially since the territory has its share of dangerous land and highly venomous water snakes!).

Indeed, with some hikes, we look back and consider having spotted -- and successfully photographed! -- a certain beautiful butterfly, big spider or unusual lizard to have been the highlight of the day. At other times, a particularly scenic vista is indeed what makes our day. In any case, it's rare -- indeed, I'd go so far it has yet to happen -- that a day out hiking has been a complete bust. Put another way: hiking in Hong Kong offers up plenty of natural highs -- and so much so that I really would highly recommend it as an activity to physically able visitors and residents alike. :)

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

naturally beautiful selection of naturals.

Colin Campbell said...

I love seeing the natural side of Hong Kong on your blog.

magiceye said...

wonderful takes on the natural theme!

Unknown said...

i wish we have some hiking trails nearby. where i live and work, i need to drive at least an hour for a hiking trail.:( i'm always surprised to see this side of HK. thanks for sharing.

LifeRamblings said...

those are great examples of natural beauty.

YTSL said...

Hi ewok1993 --

Thanks! :)

Hi Colin Campbell --

I am glad that you enjoy seeing this. :)

Hi magiceye --

Am happy that you think so. :)

Hi Luna Miranda --

It really is one of the pleasures of Hong Kong that a lot of trails can be reached just a short walk from some sort of public transportation. :)

Hi Life Ramblings --

Thanks for agreeing with my line of thinking. :)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

How mountainous is the HK mountians. You tramp alone? Here in New Zealand, we had that airline man who got lost. People thought HK is a city.

jams o donnell said...

Beautiful photos. I love how you bring out the natural beauty of Hong Kong. Have a great weekend

Anneke (Mudhooks) said...

As always, it is interesting to learn so much about life in and around Hong Kong from your postings.

Thanks!

healingmagichands said...

I love this series of shots, especially the aerial one. Scrolling through them was a lovely dip into many aspects of natural beauty. Plus, you are a darned fine photographer.

http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/photohunt-natural/

Anonymous said...

Some wonderful bits of nature on show there :)

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, I love all of your beautiful photos and your take on the theme. And I totally agree with your comments. Natural beauty is all around us, in the sky, amongst the leaves, in the water ...we should remember to stop and take in their beauty.

ancient one said...

Beautiful photos to show off "Natural" I am really enjoying seeing each one's offering this week.

Annie said...

What a wonderful collection...all four are just exquisite photographs. This is a great theme - lots of inspiring natural sights this morning.

Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

what a stunning collection. I especially like the first one.

Carver said...

What a great take on the theme and your photographs are all wonderful. Photo walking is my favorite things to do. The shot you took from the air is fantastic.

Gemma Wiseman said...

These shots from your walk are enchanting! Espeically love the watery one! I too am an avid "walk and shoot" person!

rdl said...

beautiful shots!!

jmb said...

Wonderfyl photos YTSL. Through you I have discovered the natural beauties of Hong Kong, even though it is such a tiny place really.

Happy weekend to you.
Thanks for the book recommendations. I do read Linda Fairstein. Don't rememeber that one.

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

i like your natural take for this post with all these wonderful photos


my natural post is on my plant blog today.

Liz said...

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Liz @ MLC

Maya said...

For me hiking is an experience not just an activity or destination. On a lot of our hikes my husband rushes ahead, and then is surprised by what he has missed when he sees my photos.
Our Hong Kong hiking high is still in the planning stages, but hopefully it will come together soon.

Dragonstar said...

I love that top one - so delicate and beautiful!

srp said...

Lovely photos. My brother is an opera singer and sang in Hong Kong last winter. He didn't have a lot of time to see much of the countryside... this looks beautiful.

YTSL said...

Hi Ann --

Hong Kong is more hilly than mountainous but some of the hills sure feel like mountains when one is hiking up them -- especially on hot and humid days! And I definitely try avoiding tramping alone -- hence my being grateful for having found a like-minded regular hiking companion... ;b

Hi jams --

Thanks -- and I must say that I am so very thankful that Hong Kong has so much accessible countryside. :)

Hi Anneke --

Thanks for your interest! :)

Hi healingmagichands --

Thanks for your compliments and appreciation. Really appreciate them. :)

Hi archiearchive --

Glad you think so! :b

Hi Trekcapri --

I love your comments and definitely am in agreement with them. :)

Hi ancient one --

Agree that this week's theme has made for a very enjoyable Photo Hunt. :)

Hi Annie --

Wow...you called my photographs "exquisite". I'm close to overwhelmed!!! Thanks much. :D

Hi "And Miles to Go..." --

That first one seems to definitely have its fans. Am glad I finally put it up then! (Took the photo more than a year ago...) :)

Hi Carver --

"Photo walking" -- love that term! :)

Hi Greyscale Territory --

Love that one finds so much like-minded folks among Photo Hunters... :)

Hi rdl --

Thanks!

Hi jmb --

Yes, really small -- about the size of Rhode Island, if I'm not mistaken -- but still big enough to have lots of places to explore and enjoy! :)

Hi Noel --

Thanks for telling me where to look for your Photo Hunt entry. Otherwise, I don't think I would have found it!

Hi Liz --

You're welcome and thanks for appreciating.

Hi Maya --

Your husband sounds like a few friends I know -- a couple of whom are good friends but I've decided probably aren't people I should go out hiking with again! ;S

Hi Dragonstar --

I'm so glad I managed to capture that awesome sight in a photo -- and find appreciation when I shared it. :)

Hi srp --

Oh wow re your brother. Hope he enjoyed his time in Hong Kong -- even if he didn't manage to see much of the countryside.

Gattina said...

When I hear Honkong I always think about a huge city without any green and nature around so I am happily surprised that my believes were completely wrong ! It's beautiful.

Maude Lynn said...

Gorgeous shots!

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

Hmmmm... keep on visiting my blog and hopefully your views of Hong Kong will change to include greenery and nature (of which, truly,Hong Kong has plenty)! ;b

Hi Mama Zen --

Ta! :)