Sunday, May 15, 2022

Much to see in Hagi's old castle grounds despite the castle having been long ruined! (Photo-essay)

Yesterday came startling news that China had withdrawn from hosting the Asian Football Confederation's Asian Cup because of Covid issues -- startling because that tournament's not due to take place until June of next year.  While Hong Kong is not subject to (all of) the same restrictions as Mainland China (e.g., there have not been reports of mass "clipping" of passports the way there has been over in Mainland China in recent days to prevent its citizens from travelling abroad), it does make me think and worry that Hong Kong will remain largely closed, with a minimum of one week's hotel quarantine being required upon people arriving in/returning to Hong Kong for some time to come.
 
As it is, it's quite the shock for me to realize that I've not been out of Hong Kong for some two and a half years... and, also, that I've not yet finished blogging about my most recent trip abroad -- to Japan back in October 2019!  So here's going ahead and sharing more photos taken from that trip: this time, focusing on ones taken while exploring the old castle grounds of Hagi; the Yamaguchi prefecture city which I spent a few days in after moving my base there from Hiroshima (which has come to be one of my favorite cities in Japan; from where I had made day trips to Okunoshima (AKA Rabbit Island), Ikuchijma, Osaka (mainly for the Funassyiland there this time!) and Akiyoshido)...
 
The first photo I took of the picturesque town of Hagi outside of my hotel 
there -- of the pier for sightseeing boats which I elected not to go on!
 
Puppet Ponyo (remember her?) posing in the grounds 
 of the long-ruined Hagijo (Hagi Castle)
 
Much of the grounds have a neglected feel even though
there's a still functioning Shinto shrine located within it
 
From one side of it, there are splendid views to be had
of the Sea of Japan, the coastal section of Hagi, and 
one of those sightseeing boats whose pier I had passed by earlier 
 
A Japanese garden within the ruined castle grounds
(which are formally known as Shizuki-koen (aka Shizuki Park))
 
With so few other people about the place, the park
turned out to be great for critter spotting (including 
of this grey heron) and nature photography! :)
 
One of those large spiders that I've only ever seen 
in Japan and Hong Kong :)
 
Spotted as I was leaving the old castle grounds:is that a hawk 
or an eagle?  I know for sure though that it's a bird of prey!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

That looks like a black kite to me. Very common birds anywhere.

T

peppylady (Dora) said...

Japanese garden sure is pretty. Lot of American isn't going out much, because of covid. Our gas in my community is running $4.60 to $4.70
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi T --

If I saw that bird in Hong Kong, I'd definitely ID it as a kite. Was surprised though to see the same species of bird in Japan! :)

Hi peppylady --

Japanese gardens can indeed be pretty. I thought lots of Americans were travelling, Covid be damned?! (BTW, don't know about gas/petrol prices in Hong Kong as I don't have a car!)