Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hello Kitty strikes again in Hong Kong!


On the left: Carina Lau advertising a weight-loss program;
on the right: a Hello Kitty MTR promotional poster
-- sorry, Carina, but I really do think the cute cat
is, well, cuter! ;b

On Valentine's Day of last year, a Hello Kitty (and Dear Daniel)-themed wedding took place in an MTR station. Later that year, the MTR (i.e., Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway) made available a Hello Kitty MTR Heroes figurine collection; then, to commemorate the merging of the MTR and KCR, came out with two more Hello Kitty collectibles dressed in the new uniforms of the merged organization.

Thus far this year, however, it's been McDonalds -- at least in Hong Kong, if not elsewhere in the world -- which has been leading the way in the Hello Kitty collectibles race with its Hello Kitty Messengers.* But as of December 21, the MTR's coming out with more Hello Kitty collectibles of its own; advertisements for which already are in place in MTR stations... ;b

*Addendum: sbk's query about how many Hello Kitty promotional items I now own got me realizing that there's also been the Hello Kitty on Stage series/campaign by 7-11 this year!

6 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

ytsl,

Cute. So how many promo related Hello Kitty items do you have? A few or do you need a bigger apartment??hehe!! Enough for a photo shoot to share with your readers????

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Er... er... well, I'm seeing 8 Hello Kitty MTR Heroes, 1 Hello Kitty MTR train carriage, 10 Hello Kitty on Stage figurines, 1 Hello Kitty McDonalds Messenger plastic cup, 5 Hello Kitty Messenger mini-plushes, 1 other McDonalds Hello Kitty (from last year) and 1 Hello Kitty blanket from an electrical store. Though *in all honesty* some of these items ARE gifts from friends!!!!!!!!! ;b

Also, they're tiny for the most part... so don't need a bigger apartment for now! :D

sarah bailey knight said...

Hi ytsl,

"Bite me" as the kids say. I'm not a big Hello Kitty fan by envy you your MTR collection and Hello Kitty MTR train carriage!!! "To Die For" as the kids used to say.

YTSL said...

Hi again sbk --

"Bite me"??? What a saying! I guess I'm so yesterday as I'd prefer "To Die For" even while thinking that is on the dramatic side! ;b

Re the MTR Hello Kittys: The train carriage is actually rather lame but the figurines are great! :)

Willow said...

I recently purchased an HK clock radio for the mini-me in the house. I liked the HK toaster beside the clock at the store but managed not to snag one. ;)

YTSL said...

Hi Willow --

I have a Hello Kitty clock -- it wakes me up with a brrrrring alarm. Then, after I switch off the alarm, it'll say "Hello"! The first time it did it, nearly freaked out. After recovering from the shock, do of course find this a very kawaii effect! :)

Re Hello Kitty toasters: is this the one which leaves her visage on the toast my not toasting that part of the bread? ;b