Thursday, December 25, 2008

Seasons greetings


A suitably festive picture
for this time of the year

Seasons greetings to visitors of this blog! And no, I'm not a Christian and yes, I do hail from a country where Islam is officially the religion. But since I'm currently on vacation, am one of those people who is feeling in a suitably festive and holiday-ish frame of mind at this time of the year! ;)

Additionally, growing up, I was made very familiar with Christmas -- and, in fact, used to send out festive cards at this time of the year to my friends, regardless of religion and creed (only to stop doing so after getting to the US where I found certain Jewish friends not being as okay with receiving these cards as, funnily enough, my Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, etc. friends had been in Malaysia!). Also, for the record, Christmas is a public holiday in my home country (along with such as Prophet Muhammad's Birthday, Buddha's Birthday and Deepavali -- the Hindu Festival of Lights).

This time last year, however, I actually was in a part of the world (Taipei, Taiwan) where Christmas is not a public holiday and there are way fewer Christmas decorations to be seen then in other places (including Malaysia and Hong Kong, never mind Christian countries). Still, it wasn't as though one could get away entirely from Christmas there.

To wit: While visiting the very interesting Miniatures Museum of Taiwan, I came across the scene in the photo above. (More than incidentally, although it may be hard to tell from my photo, yes, everything in that photograph really is on the tiny side -- something which makes every detail about them all the more amazing!)

And although I'm not sure whether the old fella in the scene is meant to be Santa Claus or "just" an elderly toymaker, I must say that I really like the sense of well-being -- and "job well done, so it's time to rest for a bit" -- that it gives out. Hence my thinking it'd be good to share... and, while doing so, going about and taking the opportunity to wish everyone a merry end to 2008 and happy new year ahead! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the little snowman peeping through the window.

I'm afraid I've not been around much at all recently - blame it on Christmas and family - but I do wish you the best for whatever season's festivities you may celebrate. :)

Glenn, kenixfan said...

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year as well!

YTSL said...

Hi A. --

Thanks for your good wishes and hoping from more visits from you in 2009 (and maybe also before 2008 draws to a close?).

Hi Glenn --

Thanks... and you're another person whose visits and comments I appreciate getting! :)