Saturday, August 6, 2022

Of anniversaries and humanity

 
 
Post visiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki (the latter when I was just 14 years of age) and visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum, I came away wishing that nuclear bombs will never be dropped on any other city on this earth.  And this despite Hiroshima and Nagasaki having managed, against all odds, to revive after those bombings and actually become pretty lovely cities -- with Hiroshima actually being a city that's become one of my favorite cities to visit in Japan (not least because of its great food and encounters I've had with lovely people there). 
 
Yesterday was a more personal anniversary for me: with it being three years to the day that I ceased to be a tear gas virgin.  I know it totally doesn't compare to experiencing a nuclear disaster but it's also true that, as memories of inhaling tear gas came flooding back yesterday, I actually felt rather traumatised -- and consequently was in low spirits for much of the day.  
 
Fortunately, after a nice dinner (at a member of the Yellow Economic Circle) with two friends, my spirits were revived.  It also helped to see (on Twitter -- see here, here and here -- the last (batch) retweeted by their creator) that other people were remembering what happened in Hong Kong on August 5th, 2019.  
 
 
 
In response, a fellow Hong Konger Tweeted: "I wish we could go back to introducing HK with egg tarts and instead of -deep breath- “so, in 1839 Britain and China fought a war and China lost. There were just some fish villages in HK then…”"  And I must admit to wondering whether people from Hiroshima and Nagasaki feel similarly with regards to how their cities are viewed.  
 
Which might go some way to explaining why a number of Japanese people I met -- and in some cases am friends with -- often seem to perk up when I tell them that I've been to Hiroshima and really loved the okonomiyaki and oysters there.  (My visit to Nagasaki was so long ago that, alas, I don't have particularly vivid memories of that city's specialty foods.)  Put another way: sometimes, we like to be seen, and connect, as regular human beings, after all.  And all so often, the mutual love of food and a particular local cuisine has been a great connector!    

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Glad you had chance to dine out.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

I actually dine out fairly regularly -- but it was good to do so with friends on Friday.

You stay safe too!