Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Not in a celebratory mood on Malaysia's Merdeka Day thanks to my memories of what happened in Hong Kong on August 31st, 2019

What Malaysians call bunga raya
 
Every once in a while (still), the Malaysian part of me comes to the fore.  As an example, when I see the flower known in English as hibiscus, the Malay word for it (bunga raya) immediately comes to mind. (Incidentally, it didn't occur to me until I visited Hawaii back when I was a teenager that bunga raya/hibiscus grew elsewhere besides Malaysia!)
 
And I am totally aware that today is Malaysia's Merdeka Day, the anniversary of Malaya gaining independence from Britain (though it wasn't until 16th September, 1963 that Malaya joined with Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore to become Malaysia).  But, unlike many other Malaysians, August 31st doesn't find me in a celebratory mood: Because, like other people who live in Hong Kong, I remain traumatized by what happened at Prince Edward MTR station on the night of August 31st, 2019: specifically, the police going in there and attacking defenceless civilians (some but not all of whom may have been pro-democracy protestors who had taken part earlier in the day in the same protest march that I had).
 
With the MTR and police not deigning to produce the full videos of what happened inside the MTR station that evening, we will never know what truly happened inside of it.  For instance, were there any deaths in there? We do not know for certain.   But there have been any videos and live streams shot in there by civilians/regular Hong Kongers to know that terrible things did happen in there. 
 
Which is why I have been loathe to take the MTR ever since -- to boycott it but also because taking it is something I find scary now because of the memories embedded into me via those videos and live streams that terrible night.  This is on top of not wanting to forgive the police for what their crimes, especially since none of them have ever been penalised for what they did to ordinary people that night and on so many other occasions in 2019. 
 
Also, morbid but true: when I see red hibiscus now, this Malaysian living in Hong Kong (who often really does feel more Hong Konger than Malaysian) thinks not only of Malaysia's Merdeka Day but the blood shed in Hong Kong's Prince Edward MTR station three Merdeka Days ago.  I wish it weren't the case.  But there it is. 

"Do not forget", I've seen some Hong Kongers implore others today.  For others, I think it's (more) a case of being unable to forget.  Even if they want to.  Because what happened is seared into the memories of those of us who were unable to tear our eyes and attention from those live streams out of Prince Edward MTR station and its vicinity on the night of August 31st, 2019.  And justice for those who were attacked on the night has by no means been served.

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been involved about a group trying to change and or close our library down.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Why? Also, sorry, but can you tell me what it has to do with my blog post?