Saturday, January 2, 2021

So much to see (even before entering Tai Lam Country Park) on my last hike of 2020 (Photo-essay)

On my last hike of 2020, I went once more to Tai Lam Country Park.  This time around, I visited its southwestern section, from where one can get views of Tai Lam Chung Reservoir and the islands (peaks of hills, actually) that look like they're floating within it.  At various points, one can also catch glimpses of the prisons at Tai Lam Chung; one of which (the Tai Lam Centre for Women), I didn't realize then, Agnes Chow has been moved to despite it being a maximum security facility and her not being the kind of prisoner -- ditto re Joshua Wong -- that one would think should require such harsh treatment
 
It's long seemed rather ironic and sad to me that one is liable to catch sight of a prison (and, even sometimes, its prisoners) when out hiking in this part of the world.  This is all the more so now when Hong Kong has political prisoners as well as one who actually committed crimes like murders, serious harming of people and theft of valuable property.  And even before all this, really, it can seem strange that one sometimes gets served reminders of the Big Lychee's dark side when out hiking but that hiking is one of those activities that have helped to cultivate my great love of Hong Kong.  
 
Still, it really is so that, pretty much every time, I come away from a hike loving Hong Kong even more.  In addition, I came away from this trek that saw me going for the most part along a route I had hitherto never been on with the realization that there still is so much in Hong Kong for me to discover still, including before we even got onto the hiking trail proper!         

from where two friends and I began that day's excursion
 
The first ever solar-powered compacting refuse bins
I've ever come across in my life!
 
Single-storey buildings are a rare sight 
in Hong Kong but they do exist! :D

Add goats to the list of animals (that include feral cattle
water buffalo, snakes and wild boar) that one is likely 
to encounter while out in the Hong Kong countryside... ;b

Thanks to an intrepid Mobile Softee operator who parked his
van nearby, I was able to partake of a soft serve ice cream cone
meters away from a country park entrance :)
 
Beautiful, right?  But you ain't seen nothing yet...

 
The view further along the trail (that you'll appreciate more if
you click on the photo to behold an enlarged version of it)!
 
Quite the splendid sight even without venturing beyond
the point where one is pretty strongly advised to stop :)

5 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Last day in year for the hike look beautiful. When I was in Hawaii they also had feral goats.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Actually, I didn't hike on New Year's Eve as the weather had turned too cold for comfort but did so earlier in the week. Also, I think these weren't completely feral goats but, rather, ones that had been allowed to roam for part of the day before returning to their homes. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

The white goat may be pragnant. Look at the size of its belly. Do pay attention to the males as they are sort of territorial. Could be dangerous if they ram you.

T

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jgjk3DsN7c

This is not technically a goat, but they like to head but things all the same. I don't think local goats are so severe though.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

You're right re the white goat looking pregnant. I think these local goats seemed used to humans and weren't aggressive towards people, so didn't feel all that threatened by their presence (as they were with me)!