Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pre-hike meal at Tak Cheong Noodle


A bowl of fish ball noodle soup that costs
less than HK$20 (around US$2.50)

Kau choi faa with oyster sauce to dip into
-- simple but oh so delicious
at around HK$15 (less than US$2) a plate

The piece de resistance - fried fish skin
that's crunchy until dipped into soup! ;)

Earlier today, I went on my first hike in over a month. (And for those who wonder -- yes, it was pretty enjoyable, even if this afternoon's temperature was a little higher than I'd have liked!)

As I dug into my simple but still pretty tasty pre-hike meal at Tak Cheong Noodle, a small noodle shop that got written up last month in England's The Guardian, I got to remembering that when I visited for another pre-hike meal a couple of months ago, I had taken some photos of what I ate for the edification of the foodies among this blog's visitors.

Among the things I'd like my pre-hike meal to be is: substantial, yet not too heavy; and flavorful but not spicy -- as I find that a spicy pre-sporty activity meal can result in my unpleasantly feeling like the spices are coming through my pores along with the sweat!.

As far as I'm concerned, the meals at Tak Cheong are just the delicious ticket. So much so that I'm quite happy to go a little bit out of my way to stoke up at this Tin Hau area budget eatery before heading out to some other part of Hong Kong to start my hike proper. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I just drooled on my keyboard. ;)

Glenn, kenixfan said...

That looks great AND it's about half the price of the bad Chinese (American kind of Chinese food) dinner I had last night!

alejna said...

Mmmm, that noodle soup looks great. I'm intrigued by the vegetable you called kau choi faa. Is it like green beans?

SabineM said...

OH that Made me very hungry! Esp the last one!

YTSL said...

Hi duriandave --

Oh my, and hope your keyboard's liquid proof! ;D

Hi Glenn --

Yes, it's all relative with regards to price, isn't it? By Malaysian (especially Penang) standards, that's an expensive meal but by American standards, it most definitely is a bargain!

Hi Alejna --

Kau choi faa is nothing like green beans. Instead it's like... oh my... how about thin and fragrant asparagus maybe??

Hi SabineM --

Interesting, wouldn't have thought fried fish skin would be appetising to Americans but... well, I guess it makes sense. It's like the fish equivalent of pork rinds, after all... ;D

sarah bailey knight said...

ytsl,

As I've mentioned before you take wonderful food photos.. mouth watering photos!

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Thanks. I guess it helps that the food I take photos of *is* pretty delicious! :)