Friday, June 27, 2008

Picture theft notice


Early on in my blogging 'career', I blogged -- among other things -- content theft after
I discovered that some other bloggers had copied verbatem a popular blog entry of mine. Sadly, feel obliged to report that I've discovered that it's happened again -- this time with some photographs I took while out and about in Hong Kong.

Now, I have to admit that in my early days of blogging, I too was a bit uncertain about what constituted public domain, etc., with regards to photos. But never at any time would I take more than one photograph from a single website (other than my friend Brian's who has told me he's okay about my doing so!), never mind single blog entry -- unlike this blogging copycat -- who apart from taking photos of mine and putting up on another blog, also has the temerity to then claim copyright for them!!!

Oh, and by the way, you thief, that's not Sai Kung pier and the photos weren't taken on an Easter Weekend; rather, as my earlier blog entries that you took the photos from indicated, it's Wong Shek Pier and I visited around the turn of 2007/2008. Now that you've been discovered, I dare you to admit your guilt, take down those photos and/or apologize (preferably all three but even two out of three would satisfy me).

And to others: Sad but true, I have to admit that discoveries like this does make me wonder whether it's worthwhile, etc. posting up my photos to share with friends and friendly visitors since I risk being disappointed by some others of our fellow humans while doing so... (Oh, and for those who wondered, I was unable to leave a comment on that blog and there's no e-mail address posted there for one to contact the blogger. Hence my resorting to doing what I'm doing here on this blog entry.) :(

12 comments:

Glenn, kenixfan said...

Wow! That takes chutzpah. You sound angry and you are normally so calm in your posts.

You *should* be angry, obviously.

Now you make me feel guilty for the photos I posted from Tungstar on my site! LOL!

Hey, I credited them!

YTSL said...

Hi Glenn --

Yeah, I do try to be measured, if not calm, in my posts but, well, yes, I am angered by the photo thefts. It's not just the taking and using without permission but the copyrighting of my photos as hers -- that last act really is very galling indeed! :(

sarah bailey knight said...

ytsl,

That really is low. You have every right to be angry!!! How did you discover it?

I wish you double enjoyment on your travel weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear that this has happened to you a second time. Sadly, it is very common these days and getting more frequent.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I'll gladly assist in any way that I can. Even if the plagiarist involved does not voluntarily remove the work, there are ways in which we can secure the removal without using an attorney.

Just send me an email if you think I might be able to help!

Anonymous said...

How did you find out that blogger has been stealing your photos? You happened to browse that blog?

YTSL said...

Hi sbk and laicheukpan --

Accidentally found out about the blogger while doing a google search for a work project and thought that the pictures I saw popping up on the page looked familiar... And yes, it is rather low and I wish people wouldn't do things like that. :S

Hi Jonathan --

Thank you for your comments. I'll check out your website more and get back to you re your offer sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

What a horrible thing. I can't imagine how you feel. I've heard that Google will pull the blog if you tell them, though to tell the truth I don't know the procedure. But I have heard of it being done.

YTSL said...

Hi a. --

Angered and disappointed with (at least one member of the great) humanity is how I felt/feel. I mean, I know that there are a lot worse crimes in this world but it's disappointing all the same. :S

Stefan S said...

yeah i get my fair share of stuff being copied verbatim on other blogsites as well

YTSL said...

Hi Stefan S. --

And minus crediting you as well? If so, so sad! :(

Stefan S said...

yup... got passed off as original work :(

YTSL said...

Hi again Stefan --

Bleeeh! Hope you did call attention to the theft on your blog, if not the guilty party's!!!