Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Rain, rain, go away...!


Rain clouds (and the Lion Rock in the distance)
can help make for quite the impressive sight

Normally, on a Wednesday morning like it is right now, I'd be out at work. Right now, however, I'm sitting in my apartment writing this blog entry. Why? Because, currently, as has been the case for the last 12 hours or so, Typhoon Warning Signal 8 is in effect. Indeed, the last time (i.e., a few seconds ago) that I checked at the Hong Kong Observatory's website, I saw the following:-
THE TROPICAL CYCLONE SIGNAL NO. 8 HAS BEEN ISSUED.
THE AMBER RAINSTORM WARNING SIGNAL WAS ISSUED AT 10:10 A.M.
THE LANDSLIP WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED.
THE SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT OF FLOODING IN NORTHERN NEW
TERRITORIES HAS BEEN ISSUED.
Sounds pretty scary, doesn't it?

From what I can myself observe through the apartment's windows and the balcony's glass door, though, indeed, there's quite a bit of rain falling. But, surprisingly, not that much wind -- nothing at all like could be seen battering Hong Kong in sections of Mud Child, a wonderful film from 1976 that's part of the Hong Kong Film Archive's ongoing as well as invaluable Care for our Community programme -- even if I can see the aerials on a nearby building moving more than usual!

Indeed, about the major indicator that things are not normal is that it's so quiet on my street and the one next to it that I can also see. Few people out and about and even fewer vehicles, especially public transportation (since bus service, etc. has actually been temporarily suspended!). Yeah, they sure do take their weather warnings seriously here...!

2 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

ytsl,

cool picture. I like the black, gray and blue grays.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Glad you like and yeah, I like the picture too. ;b