Friday, October 21, 2022

A Victoria Harbourfront walk that revealed Hong Kong's beauty but also some of its woes :S (Photo-essay)

This has been one of those weeks where a number of actions by the Hong Kong government have got me all hot and bothered.  (I don't want to go into detail, as I've already emoted quite a bit on (other) social media.  So will just name them here as John Lee's policy address on Wedneday and the Batman movie shenanigans today.)  And so angry did so many aspects of John Lee's policy address make me, in fact, that I felt an urgent need to get some fresh air and burn off some of my anger with some exercise.  
 
Fortunately, the weather gods made it so that the physical conditions were pretty ideal to do just that, with temperatures that got me thinking autumn's finally here and welcome breezes besides.  So off I went for an afternoon walk that took me from Fortress Hill to Central that was primarily along the Victoria Harbourfront, including "The Revitalised Typhoon Shelter Precinct" that I've been visiting long before it got "revitalised" and given that name!  
 
Along the way, I saw sights that reaffirmed my belief that Hong Kong really is beautiful but there also were some that revealed the bad things that have happened, and is happening, to this city that I've come to call home.  Regardless, the walk got me realizing that I continue to really f**king love Hong Kong and that even while the sun is setting over it, I remain loath to leave it still...
 
I enjoy spotting birds on my Victoria Harbourfront walks,
and often am rewarded when in the vicinity of the
Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter :)
 
I can see this stepped section of the "revitalised precinct"
becoming popular place to hang out and take in the sights :)

The police going around and randomly checking people's IDs 
is something that has been happening way too often 
for my liking in Hong Kong these days :(
 
View of Central that's dominated by the building
that many people recognize from its appearance in
Hong Kong: home to both a People's Liberation Army 
garrison and Bank of America Tower, and where ads
for life insurance and events beloved by the Chinese
Communist Party adorn the landscape!
 

Okay, deep breath, try to see and appreciate 
the bright spots amidst the gloom!
 
Also, as this image from earlier in the walk seems to emphasize:
Life goes on, and we will continue to make our way through
it, with more than one way available to do so!

5 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

The world crazy.
Coffee is on and stay save

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I saw the Yacht Club resumed their weekend races yesterday. Quite a few boats sailing around the harbour. There was also a four person rowing boat with a coxwain in the middle of the harbour rowing over the slight waves.

T

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Yes, the world is crazy. I wonder whether it's long been this way and we just didn't realize it or if it really has become crazier in recent years! :(

Hi T --

Wow re a rowing boat in the middle of Victoria Harbour! And, of course, this past weekend also saw the Cross Harbour Swim -- whose participants I reckon must be nuts! :D

nulle said...

YTSL, why don't you consider making an exit of HK?

at the mininum, think about having an executable exit plan in place...

things will only get worse from here since Xi have lifetime appointment.

YTSL said...

Hi Nulle --

There are many reasons: among them, I still really f**king love Hong Kong.