Monday, August 9, 2021

Thank you for the memories, Olympic and otherwise, Japan! (Photo-essay)

 
There's a joke going around that Hong Kong did so extraordinarily well at the Tokyo Olympics because Japan is like the second home of many Hong Kongers!  At the very least, I get the definite sense that it's the country many Hong Kongers love to visit most -- and yes, it's definitely my favorite country to visit.  As it so happens, Japan was indeed the last country I visited before the still on-going pandemic put a stop to my travels.  And since I still have photos to share from that last visit (back in October 2019!), here's going ahead and (finally) sharing some of my photos from my visit to Yamaguchi Prefecture's Akiyoshidai plateau and Akiyoshido caves!
 
Misty day view of Akiyoshidai Plateau
Japan's largest karst plateau
 
It's underground, in Akiyoshido cave though, that 
the geology gets really visually interesting, spectacular even!
 
The rock formation known as Gankutso --
King of the Cave :b
 

A point in Akiyoshido where a stalactite might one day
join together with the stalagmite
 
I hope this photo gives a sense of how large 
this limestone cave system is!
 

 Is it just me or does it look like there's a roaring lion head
next to the raging underground river there?

Puppet Ponyo posing in front of Hyakumaizara --
the geological formation known as One Hundred Plates
which visually resembles a terraced rice field
 
Truly, if I didn't have to make sure that I'd catch the last bus
of the day out of the area, I'd have stayed way longer
to explore this incredible cave system!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi YTSL,

It's been awhile since I left a comment here...I agree with your favorable response to the Tokyo Olympics. Against all odds, the host country produced a setting for many impressive athletic performances - and managed to leave behind a Japanese cultural aura that, in my mind, the next Paris Olympics may have trouble equaling.

This current entry may be backdated,but it still still depicts your usually interesting text and photos.

I don't have the willpower to resist adding a comment about Puppet Ponyo,who you introduced me to years ago on this site and who, amazingly, remains a kind of nature spirit in my mind...I often picture her sitting peacefully on a boulder - overlooking the Seto Inland Sea.

Bill, USA

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

Good to hear from you again. I've been wondering how you've been and hoping you're okay amidst the pandemic, seeing as your home state has been badly affected.

It sounds like you enjoyed the Tokyo Olympics. And I'm glad to get confirmation that you remain a fan of Puppet Ponyo. :)