Monday, September 21, 2020

A wonderfully memorable evening at Kichijoji's Bakawarai (Photo-essay)

I dreamnt last night that I was visiting Japan. I've had many dreams in the past few months of leaving Hong Kong and going elsewhere but until last night, all of the dreams had actually been not very pleasant in nature: seeing as they involved my having to flee a place I love (and have come to look upon as my actual as well as spiritual home).

In last night's dream though, I was visiting what's become a favorite country to visit because of -- in no particular order -- its fantastic food, libations, cultural attractions, and natural ones too, a certain Pear (Fairy), friendly people and old friends who I met in Hong Kong but since have returned to their Japanese homeland.  And even while it really saddens me that it's looking like the Wuhan coronavirus is going to prevent me from making even one trip to Japan this year, it's also true enough that I have plenty of great memories of the Land of the Rising Sun to tide me over a while -- some of which I haven't yet chronicled on my blog. So here's going ahead and resuming posting about some of them from my May 2019 trip to Tohoku and Tokyo!

izakaya, I simply had to go there when I was in Tokyo!
 
Bakawarai's idiosyncratic way to welcome its customers
and mark reserved seats (And, if you're wondering, that's 
the name of the friend I went with on the egg ;b)
 
That egg's not just for show, by the way -- as it can get used as 
an ingredient in one of this Kichijoji izakaya's signature dishes!
 
An omelette that's picture worthy and really truly yummy!
 
I had plenty of seafood on this trip but this stewed fish head may well 
have been the single most delicious seafood dish I had on it! 
 
I love this Japanese whelk dish and pretty much always order it
whenever I see it on the menu (or, in this case, as the menu's 
only in Japanese, ordered by other customers!)
 
Yes, we had a lot of beer and
sake that night... :b
 
My vote for this atmospheric izakaya's piece de resistance:
the cured bacon hanging above the counter from clothes pins :D
 
A couple of notes to conclude: Thanks to Morgan for two of the above photos; and something that made my visit to Bakawarai truly memorable was that Simon and Martina happened to go there for dinner that night!  (And yes, I did perk up my courage to go and talk to them, and thank them for this really great izakaya recommendation!)  Also, should there be any doubt, I really would love to visit Bakawarai again on a future trip to Tokyo.  Truly, it's one of those places that makes me wish I lived in the neighborhood -- though it'd actually be pretty dangerous if that were the case, as I could definitely imagine my going and drinking as well as eating a lot there on many nights each week! :)  

2 comments:

Paul said...

Love those bacon strips on clothespins! That's the kind of quirkiness that makes izakayas so loveable.

YTSL said...

Hi Paul --

Indeed! And those strips of bacon were really yummy too! Had two of them that night! :b