Sunday, August 1, 2021

Hong Kong is really beautiful (Photo-essay)

On one of those days earlier this week which threatened to fill me with despair, I sought physical and psychological sustenance in the form of dinner with two good friends: one British-born, the other Mainland China-born; both.of whom share my love for Hong Kong.  After our meal in Tsim Sha Tsui, we decided to take the Star Ferry over to Hong Kong Island.  Walking by the harborfront, we couldn't help but be enchanted by the views that unfolded before us -- this even though our combined time in Hong Kong probably exceeds half a century at this point!    
 
I have to be honest: we had spent part of our conversation over dinner talking about leaving Hong Kong.  One of my friends mentioned that he had been to a "going away" party for a long-time Hong Kong resident friend of his earlier in the week, the other talked about an old collegemate (she is a Chinese University of Hong Kong grad) who she recently said goodbye to while I shared that last week, two different friends had told me of their having sold their apartments because they planned to leave Hong Kong for good after seeing what the security law is doing to it.  But seeing once more how really beautiful Hong Kong is, it reinforced for us how heartwrenching it will be for us to leave this place that we have come to call home...
 
When I visited Hong Kong as a tourist all those years ago, I'd make 
a point to take in this view on my first night in the Fragrant Harbour
 
Not bad for a hand-held night shot, huh? :)
 
With the help of a zoom lens, Causeway Bay 
doesn't look so far away ;b
 
The lights shimmering on the water definitely adds to the picture
 
A sign of the times: few people in sight by the Clock Tower that has
 
The Star Ferry wasn't packed with people either --
but still was running regularly
 
Here's the one that came over to take us over to Hong Kong Island
 
Bonus pic: from another evening, when the air was 
less clear but the Symphony of Lights was on
(Dammit all, I really do f**king love Hong Kong!) 

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I could image living in big city like that. But I would love to see all sites and such.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

One really nice thing about Hong Kong is how it's a big city but with much green countryside easily accessible by public transportation, etc. It makes for the best of both worlds -- urban and rural -- with few characterless suburbs as a bonus.