Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lau Shui Heung Country Trail hike (photo-essay)

If truth be told, part of me is feeling a bit weird for blogging about a hike I went on last spring at a time when Japan remains in crisis and so much else is going on in the world. But, as a Christian Science Monitor blog headline asserts, Japan knows how to rise from the ashes, life goes on and, as my time in Tanzania taught me, those of us who are in fortunate positions should treasure life and those parts of it that are enjoyable -- and in my case, going out hiking with a good friend on a beautiful day with nice cool weather that yields scenic views is such a thing.

So here's going ahead and spreading the word about my positive experience of hiking the little known -- to judge by the dearth of other hikers about on it that day -- Lau Shui Heung Country Trail in the northern New Territories of Hong Kong:-

Spotted on our way to the start of the trail proper:
a broken off bit of plant branch with unusually sticky red sap

The -- if memory serves me right
-- same plant's
green flowers

View of the nearby rural hamlet of Hok Tau Wai
nestled amidst green surroundings


A dry leaf-strewn uphill section of the trail

The kind of natural pattern that looks to have served
as inspiration for camouflage clothing manufacturers!


Don't say you don't think too that
the items above resemble hairy balls! ;b


About half way into the hike, there came
a hint of the scenic views that were to come
The kind of scenery that is breathtaking when
viewed "live" (rather than in a mere photo)

To be continued... and I hope you welcome that this is the case! :)

7 comments:

Marta said...

It is a good post to see the beauty of nature after all the destruction. And to see rebirth which will happen after time. I'm glad you were able to take a break and get away from being absorbed by the news. It does keep drawing me back.

YTSL said...

Hi Marta --

Thanks for agreeing with my ideas re the need to see the beauty of nature after all the destruction and to feel that rebirth and rejuvenation *will* take place after a time. And yeah, I have been able to get away from time to time from the news but the fact that it's definitely affected me can be seen in my having had nightmares about being in a tsunami last night -- and yeah, I do think that if it's so bad for me/us, just think of those who actually lived that nightmare. :(

Carver said...

That's a beautiful hike and post and I also agree with your idea of seeing beauty after all the destruction.

YTSL said...

Hi Carver --

Thanks for visiting on a non-Photo Hunt day and checking out a non-Photo Hunt blog entry. Am glad you like what you saw and read. :)

A hero never dies said...

That trail looks gorgeous YTSL, I must check that out next time I can get to HK, hopefully it won't be too long!

Birthday Bear said...

That looks an interesting scenic hike but a bit too steep for me nless a human puts me in their back pack. Thanks for visiting my blog a long time ago.dom

YTSL said...

Hi "A hero never dies" --

If ever you visit Hong Kong again, hope you get a chance to try hiking in the territory -- be it in the northern New Territories, Sai Kung, Lantau or Hong Kong Island. :)

Hi Birthday Bear --

Woah, didn't realize that you visit blogs (as well as your "wrinkly" friends :b). Thanks for visiting -- and yeah re hiking... my Ponyo puppet would like to do so too but my regular hiking companion has threatened to throw her off a cliff if she decides to tag along on one of our hikes! ;(