Sunday, January 13, 2008

Winter's here in Hong Kong! :)


It never gets cold enough in Hong Kong
to be able to ice skate outside
but it still can get quite cool...

Some days, I think that in a past life, I must have been a native of a territory with a colder clime than Malaysia. Or maybe it's just a case of 'the grass is greener on the other side' syndrome making this person, who was born and largely raised in a country with equatorial climate, love cooler temperatures so. All I know is that when I look at the current 7 day weather forecast for Hong Kong, my heart threatens to skip a beat, and for joy! :)

For those whose countries continue to measure temperature in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius or Centigrade, here's a temperature converter -- which, despite its name, actually works both ways -- to help figure things out. Alternatively, trust me when I say that I view Hong Kong's winter as one in which, for the most part, one doesn't really need an overcoat but, rather, enables me to comfortably put on some of my favorite types of clothing: namely, sweaters, scarves and -- this especially! -- flannel shirts.

On a Hong Kong movie note: At the risk of stating the obvious, there was a reason -- beyond that of style -- that Chow Yun-Fat didn't seem idiotic for dressing the way he did in the iconic A Better Tomorrow. At the same time, it does make me laugh when even the slightest lowering of temperature from what I'd classify as 'hot' causes Hong Kongers (and, I've noticed this among residents of Taipei as well) to break out their winter gear with a vengeance!

Nonetheless, nothing strains incredulity more than to see people wearing wool scarves and turtleneck sweaters, and even leather jackets (in a bid to emulate their cinematic idols, no doubt), in places like Malaysia -- something that I've seen done on occasion, both in my time in Kuala Lumpur as well as Penang. And no, I really don't believe that even the fact that Malaysians have a love of air-conditioned buildings can be an excuse for these cases of fashion victimhood! ;D

8 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

Recently in Tokyo in 60F/16C weather I walked up stairs behind two girls wearing Uggs-sheepskin boots. "How sweaty and smelly their feet must be," I thought. Not exactly an image the Ugg company would appreciate.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Thanks for sharing that amusing story! Today, in a Hong Kong with circa 16C temperature, I saw tons of people wearing not just down vests but full down overcoats. (In contrast, back when I was in Wisconsin (aka the Siberia of America), 16C temperature often equalled T-shirt, never mind shirt-sleeve, weather to the locals! ;b)

sarah bailey knight said...

ytsl,

hahaha hehehe to down overcoats in Hong Kong. In Vermont, where I live, I don't wear mine unless it's at least -20F/-28.8C. I'd be laughed at if I did.

Totally agree with the Wisconsin clothing at 16C.

But I have to admit the cold we have where I live is a dry cold while I imagine in Hong Kong it's a damp wet cold that chills one to the bone.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Saw more down overcoat-wearing folks out on the streets of Hong Kong today and was tempted to take photos to show you. But it's hard to do so without: a) taking pictures of their faces; and/or b) their thinking I'm stalking them!!! ;S

Willow said...

I think people in these warmer climates jump at the chance to wear winter wear. Those long coats, scarves and hats do create a very stylish silhouette.

Or they're the type, like me, who get cold easily. I was glad to have my long-sleeved fleece jacket when I was traipsing around HK last month even before winter officially began.

YTSL said...

Hi Willow --

"I think people in these warmer climates jump at the chance to wear winter wear..."

I agree with the caveat that it's only some people. OTOH, it's cool enough this evening that *I* am thinking of putting on a jacket -- albeit NOT a goose-down one! ;b

Anonymous said...

Looking at the long-range forecast, it seems your temperatures next weekend (14- 16C) will be approaching our unseasonably mild weather (13-14C). And, yes, no doubt people in Hong Kong will be wearing coats while I am wondering if I really need a jacket.

YTSL said...

Hi a. --

FYI, I expect to still see people wearing down jackets (and sometimes even long coats) here right until the temperature hits 20C and maybe even a little bit beyond... ;b