Thursday, February 9, 2023

Sights seen while walking along the Central harbourfront that I gave metaphorical meaning to (Photo-essay)

After lunch yesterday afternoon, I walked on the Victoria Harbourfront from Central to Tin Hau.  Regular readers of this blog will know that I do so fairly often (on both sides of the harbour, in fact), and generally enjoy the experience.  And I did so again for some of the time yesterday -- but what I'd like to focus on this time around is less my experience of how beautiful Hong Kong is but also coming across sights in Central that caused me to ponder about Hong Kong's current situation and got me thinking of metaphors for it! 
 
As the proverbial "they" say, a picture says a thousand words.  And maybe the photos that follow might well be able communicate more than I ever can in words about what's going in this place, and my feelings about it:
 
At Central, I came across what I initially thought was 
a film crew at work...
 
...but on further thought, they might be among those 
who've been charged with making promotional/propaganda 
 
One gets the distinct feeling that the authorities are desperate 
to reassert Hong Kong's "Asia's World City" status... but I'm not 
sure how many people are actually seeing, hearing 
and agreeing with that assertion these days!
 
The gray skies overhead emphasised the gloomy outlook
 
...But wait, I also did see some light trying to break through
(along with the sun, which resembled the moon in the sky at times)!
 
With more light and less darkess, Hong Kong really does
look (more) beautiful! :)
 
One more point for you to ponder: the People's Liberation Army 
has -- and its CCP masters have -- been 
ensconced in Hong Kong since July 1st, 1997...
 
But even now, yellow flowers bloom in Hong Kong...
 (And yes, I'm reading metaphors into this!)

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I took a short walk today.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Hope you enjoyed your walk, however short!