Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Spring has arrived in Hong Kong (and the fifth wave peaked?)! (Photo-essay)

 
What I think I can say with some certainty though is that spring has arrived in Hong Kong -- and brought beautiful, bright blue skies along with agreeably mild weather.  Rather than hole up in my apartment, like I did all of yesterday and Sunday, I went out today for a walk: a good part of which was along the Victoria Harbourfront; and a good section of which route I previously had never been on.  And over the course of doing so: you guessed it -- I got to thinking once more that Hong Kong is really beautiful and I (still) f**king love Hong Kong!    

View of the Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter and across the harbour 
over to the Kowloon hills and past it to Tai Mo Shan
 
Not the usual view of the Cross Harbour Tunnel -- and, in fact, 
it took me a few seconds to realize what it was that I was seeing! :b

 
Today was definitely the closest I've been to the Cross 
Harbour Tunnel by foot (as opposed to bus, taxi or car)!
 
Pedal boats waiting for to be utilized again (perhaps
after the fifth wave recedes)
 
In the meantime, at least one can still enjoy the harbourfront 
views and seats along with the day's good weather! 

Should there be any question what the body of water
that dominates the nearby scenery is called...
 
Not as many people out on the promenade as one might expect,
given how beautiful the weather was -- but, then, it's a week day 
and we're in the middle of the fifth coronavirus wave, after all :S
 
Also, I actually didn't see as much wildlife as I'd expected
(very few butterflies out, for instance) but I did spot this bird! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I have not walked that section close to the Yacht Club either. May try that route next time. Anyway as for today however good that was, I guess we all experienced that Blood Hell moment when all in a sudden mobile phone of the whole city rang with text and voice messages.

I wonder why they use a disaster class emergency alert on a mere notification, despite a medical one. No major Internation News Agency had picked that up yet, I guess. What a joke on our expense.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Actually, I didn't get those emergency alerts -- on either my trusty old Nokia or the burner smartphone. I guess I was excluded because they're stored valued phones -- hah!

What did you think it was when you got the alert? The most extreme response I heard was from someone who thought Carrie Lam had declared martial law in Hong Kong!

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Lucky you. I believe the Government had posted a link for citizens to verify if the brands and models of their mobile phones are covered. Generally speaking major brands are all covered.

Also from the news such emergency alerts are sent directly from the Mobile Cells when the Government send the text to the carriers who owned all the cells for the broadcast. In my case, all of them rang\vibrated with the message being read by text to voice at the same time. After hearing a few phrases of the message in disbelieve, I tuned it out and started disabling the emergency alert on all my phone, save one, just in case

I had been working at home for quite a while. Think of this if it occurred when I am in the Office with all the teams present. This is not funning. Once again this proved the Government is run by morons.

T

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

https://app2.ofca.gov.hk/apps/eas/onlineEnquiry <---- this is the link. Your phones don't seem to be listed. At least not yet.

T

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

On the other, I also have an unlisted phone (A Nokia X20 on Android 12), but it rang that day with the emergency alert all the same.

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

I'm happy my phone(s) aren't on the list and didn't get the "Emergency" alert! And, yes, absolutely re this government being run by morons.