Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Hiking on the Peak and in Pok Fu Lam Country Park before a possible typhoon visit (Photo-essay)

After weeks of rain and high humidity, Hong Kong's been treated to bright sunshine (which has been welcomed) and high heat (which has not) over the past week.  For some days now, I've told myself I should head out for a hike -- but it's taken the threat of more rain and even a typhoon to get me out communing with nature once more.          
 
And, of course, as I knew would be the case, once I got hiking, I felt so happy to be doing so.  Adding to the pleasure this afternoon was: it actually being hot but no way as humid as I had expected; the visibility being better than I had expected; and my not encountering any ugly red flags and 25th anniversary banners along my hike from Victoria Gap down to Pok Fu Lam Road (along a different route from the previous hike I went on in the area a few weeks ago)!  Oh, and Typhoon Signal 1 has indeed been raised this evening.  So I don't think it'll be as ideal hiking weather as it was this afternoon for the next few days!

View from the bus heading up to the Peak!
 
See the reservoir down below?  That's more or less 
where today's hike ended ;b
 
The famous view from the Peak is hard to beat
on a high visibility day :)
 
Walking and looking westwards along the 
northern section of the Peak Circuit
 
It's impossible to cast your eyes on a view like this
 
A dreamy looking view of Tai Mo Shan (aka 
Big Hat Mountain) and the land to the south of it 
 
I don't actually recall being able to see Cheung Chau
so clearly from Hong Kong Island before!
 
After going down these steps, I was treated to fewer and less 
grand views but, as compensation, I got to do more "forest 
bathing" before conveniently ending the hike at a bus stop! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Ah, you went down to the end of Harlech Road...... Maybe next time you could try turning right after reaching the foot path at the end of the steps. That should lead you towards Hatton Road, at the junction at Lung Fu Shan. I went through that in the dark quite a few times. While it is quiet up there, you could hear the low frequencies of traffic below. May need a tourch after dark as that section of the foot path is generally mud and stone with a few streams.

The path is frequented by some HKU students or Peak\mid level residents, either walking their dogs or running alone it.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Yep re my going down to the end of Harlech Road. And yes, I've gone on the trail you mentioned before. But yeah, this time, I opted to largely follow the Hong Kong Trail before diverting to the Pok Fu Lam Family Walk down to Pok Fu Lam Reservoir. :)