Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Enjoying a socially distanced hike without a mask for what may be the last time in a long while! (Photo-essay)

There was much to be angry about in Hong Kong again yesterday.  I don't think I need to go into details as more than one blogger out there has already done so (see here and here for examples).  And there's much to be angry about some more in Hong Kong today (see here, here, here and here, among others).  Oh, and of course Hong Kong had another day of record new Covid cases -- up to 8,674 today, and 24 more deaths.
 
On the (literally) brighter side: the sun came out and it stopped raining for the first time in days today.  So I went off for another hike in Tai Tam Country Park.  And like with last week's in the same country park (albeit along different sections of trail for the most part), I spotted lots of Chinese New Year Flowers and nine different wild boar on my hike!  
 
And for those who didn't realize: yes, I love hiking in Hong Kong; where I can get away from much of humanity for a few hours as well as get into nature.  So it really does seem very stupid, bordering on irrational and insane, for the Hong Kong government to require that, beginning from midnight tonight, people will need to wear masks while out (hiking) in the country parks; and this especially when people also already are required to socially distance by, among other things, not being in groups larger than two people in public!   
 
Lots of people and buildings in the city below...
 
Out on the hiking trail: far less so!
 
nope, there really aren't that many people at all in the area!
 
Even the sections of the popular Wilson Trail that I was on
this afternoon, it was very easy to socially distance!
 
Honestly, wearing a mask while hiking out here
with no one in sight seems like madness!
 
Some pretty (and still in bloom) Chinese New Year Flowers
to chase the blues away!
 
Speaking of chase: I spotted a young boy and his mother
round a bend surprisingly quickly -- then realized why
when four wild boar appeared a few seconds later! :D
 
One more wild boar pic: BTW, I think they have lovely eyes! :)

6 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

So glad you got a chance to go for a walk.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Thank you. And I'm indeed glad that I was able to get in one last mask-less hike for what I'm afraid will be quite a while!

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I got into close quarters with at least Four (4) medium sized wild boars in Ap Lei Chau last week. We were seperated by a high wire fence, but I believe they got into the ground by way or a broken metal gate. They might have ram the gate down though.

The location was the foot path running between Ap Lei Chau Estate and the Wind Tower Park. Anyway, Ap Lei Chau is known to have Wild Boars for years. Just that I did not expect to see them at that location. Past sighting locations are all further up the slope toward True Light Middle School and\or the Lei Tung Estate area.

Another woman passing by was close to freak out but I managed to talked her out of it and walked her away from the scene. Owing to this I did not manage to take photos.

I began to wonder when would they appear in South Horizons..........

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Good on you for managing to calm the woman down. Truly, from what I've personally seen, many humans are far more threatening and dangerous than the wild boars!

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

There are other critters around too. Just read a circular on South Horizons Management that they are hiring some snake catchers to patrol the gardens as there are sightings somewhere.

I guess parents are concerned as there are always kids running around down there, who are unlikely to be trained for how to handle our snake neighbours. IMO if you find snakes in the garden, that means the eco system there is thriving. But still, there may be piosonous ones which may bite if being stepped on....... And what if it's a Cobra....... That would be dangerous.

Anyway.....

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

I guess the recent warm weather brought the snakes out! Am thinking they went back into hibernation today though, and won't be out and about this weekend. When it warms up again next week though...!

BTW, the only time I've seen a cobra in Hong Kong, it was on Hong Kong Island!