Saturday, November 10, 2007

Flexible (This week's Photo Hunt theme)







Living in what one Hong Kong newspaper has referred to as Bamboo City, it's really hard to go beyond the flexible bamboo when thinking of what to feature in this week's Photo Hunt entry. And why, I hear those of you who've never been to Hong Kong -- and don't have the time or inclination to check out the linked article from The Standard -- and can't quite figure out the photos in this blog post ask, is the Fragrant Harbour also referred to as Bamboo City?

Short answer: Because pretty much at any time of the day or year, the observer out for a stroll in the built-up areas of Hong Kong will easily come across buildings in the process of being built or renovated that are effectively encased in bamboo scaffolding (like the ones in the top two photos). Also, while it can look really insane (to wit: the bottom two photos, one of which shows the bottom of the scaffolding not being rooted in the ground...), there really is a logic and method to the supposed madness, as the following excerpts from the above referenced article show:-

Bamboo scaffolding is an example of natural materials put to ingenious use. Steel scaffolding may have advantages in strength and standardised quality but bamboo wins out in other ways...

Bamboo is more flexible than steel. It can be slightly bent to fit building contours... [Additionally, b]ecause of its properties bamboo is not rigid, so weaknesses can be detected before actually collapsing. Also bamboo is about eight times lighter than steel and it floats.
Well-kept scaffolding can be used over and over again for about two years but then has to be disposed of... Bamboo scaffolding isn't necessarily dangerous... It is a cost-effective traditional craft that should be preserved and improved.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really know much about bamboos.

From the photos, it looks kind of dangerous to me but I guess it is pretty safe.

Another interesting selection for photohunt.

Natalie said...

That's a very cool submission, I love learning something new. :) This week is my first photo hunt, come check me out if you get a chance and have a fabulous weekend!

Joyismygoal said...

well that was fascinating really i had no idea how ignorant ai was Thanks:>

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Great shots all, and thanks for the education on Bamboo!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Very cool photos! Bamboo is a flexible material, but I didn't know it was used for scaffolding!

A. said...

That is quite incredible! I had no idea bamboo could be used in this way. I was going to say I wouldn't be too sure about climbing up bamboo scaffolding, but in fact I wouldn't be happy climbing up any scaffolding.

jmb said...

Great post YTSL, it is unbelievable that a high rise will have bamboo scaffolding.

Anonymous said...

when I was in Beijing last year, I saw a lot of this. I had also heard that they hand construct the bamboo scaffolding? AMAZING!! Great post for flexible!

YTSL said...

Hi Lissa --

Agree that it does look dangerous but, especially during typhoon season, it is supposed to be far safer than the metal scaffolding used in the West!

Hi Natalie --

Welcome to the Photo Hunt "club" and hope you enjoy your hunting along with posting. :)

Hi joyismygoal --

Thanks (and great moniker, BTW)! :)

Hi snoopythegoon --

Thanks for the kudos, and for visiting once more! (It's interesting how certain Photo Hunter names become familiar to one after a time...) :)

Hi Dragonheart --

I know the bamboo scaffolding is something that really astounds visits to the parts of Asia that use them. Am glad to be the person to let you know of its existence! :)

Hi A. --

Agreed that any scaffolding looks intimidating to climb! ;b

Hi jmb --

Unbelievable and yet true. Hmmm... wonder whether it's been featured in Ripley's Believe it or Not... ;b

Hi tegdirb 92 --

Yep re the bamboo scaffolding being hand constructed, or at least assembled. Have seen this being done over here! :)

Anonymous said...

VERY interesting! Thanks! And thanks for checking out my flexible submission!!

PowersTwinB said...

Amazing! I learn something new every time I get on the web! I will probably never GET to Hong Kong in this lifetime, so I find it fascinating to see these photos! Thank you so much for visiting my hunt today! I appreciate the visits

LivG said...

Neat stuff!

YTSL said...

Hi Linda --

You're welcome and thanks for visiting in turn! :)

Hi PowerTwinsB --

Thank you too for visiting and hope you'll visit some more, seeing as you found my post to contain fascinating material. :)

Hi Olivia --

Thanks to you as well! :)

Willow said...

Yay for bamboo!

YTSL said...

Hi Willow --

Yay indeed! ;D

-- Yvonne