Saturday, July 20, 2019

Natural and other sights along Stage 3 of the Wilson Trail (Photo-essy)

I haven't been out hiking for some weeks now -- not because I've been too busy protesting (against the government's refusal to withdraw the extradition bill that got millions people out onto the streets) but, rather, because of other factors such as it having been so hot that I've come down with heat rash so extreme that I've felt like there are invisible pins sticking into me!  So, this summer, I've ended up joining the ranks of those Hong Kong hikers who take a break from their favorite outdoor pursuit during the hottest months of the year and content myself with looking through my photo archive and waiting for a nice, cool day to arrive that will see me bounding up one -- or more -- of Hong Kong's hills once more.

And actually, even in those years when I've gone hiking in the warmer along with cooler months, there are certain trails that I'd not consider going on when the temperature and humidity are on the high side.  Among these is Stage 3 of the Wilson Trail -- whose 9.3 kilometer length shouldn't be scoffed at, and more so when one also takes into account its routing taking those who go along it up to the top (or near enough) of not one but three Kowloon peaks!

This section of the Wilson Trail is notable for passing
through scenic parts of the Hong Kong countryside that 
actually aren't designated areas within the country parks...
 
 Something else noteworthy is the expansive views one gets 
while going along it of the very large Junk Bay Chinese 
Permanent Cemetery located on the eastern side of Devil's Peak
 
It's hard to avoid having to go up at least one hill
when out hiking in Hong Kong...
 
...and it's true enough that what (and who) goes up,
will have to come down at some point!
 
One of those scenic views that makes the effort that goes
into hiking feel very worthwhile indeed :) 
 
How many Hong Kong hills have been quarried for
their stone or levelled in the name of development?
are no more and feel sad that this is so
 
 
 Hopefully these farmed lands are still around as I do 
think that their existence adds to Hong Kong's charm...

No comments: