Tuesday, February 18, 2014

From Wong Nai Chung Gap to the Tai Tam Reservoirs via Violet Hill (Photo-essay)

One summer's day, two friends and I went on a hike that that took us up to the two highest of Violet Hill's three peaks. Apart from it being my first trek up Violet Hill that took me up its 436 meter high peak to the north west as well as its 433 meter high peak to the east that is along Section 1 of the Wilson Trail, what I remember most about this particular excursion is seeing the rain racing towards us when we were Tsin Shui Wan Au!

So I'm grateful for the many photos I took along the way for jogging my memory and showing me that there was quite a bit more to the hike that took us from Wong Nai Chung Gap to the Tai Tam Reservoirs via Violet Hill than those two undoubtedly memorable experiences.  And without further ado, here's sharing a few of those images here:-

To the west of Violet Hill lies Brick Hill (AKA Nam Long Shan), 
most famous these days for sections of it being home to Ocean Park
 
 Looking northwards and down mid-ascent towards the 

I realize it's not a harmless bug and yet I couldn't help but
think it's pretty and go up close to take a photo of it!

Past the greenery way down to the south, one spies
the skyscrapers (and harbour) that one associates
far more with Hong Kong

Look northwards while along the northern slope of Violet Hill
though, and a very different vista unfolds before you

Among the highlights of a hike up Violet Hill is the views
to be had of the Tai Tam Reservoirs
 
 
The hike may not take us to sea level but it does 
take us down to reservoir level!

The reservoirs of Hong Kong are home to more tortoises
than one might expect! ;b

4 comments:

Bill said...

Hi Yvonne,

The colorful insect in your photo is a thing of beauty, in class with your best insect photos, such as the extraordinary Lantern Bug...Some natural history museums have displays of large wooden or glass models of certain insects...A model based on your insect photo would look good in such a display.

I used the link you provide in this text to "A scenic Violet Hill Hike", April, 2011...These are some of your best photos. The winding trails "snaking" through the greenery make it difficult to believe you're so close to the metropolis of Hong Kong...These photos could almost be a setting from a storybook mountain kingdom.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

I'm glad you like the look of the colorful insect. Any guesses as to what it is?

And thanks for checking out the other blog entry I linked to. Re Violet Hill: I will never forget the first time I hiked it. It made me realize how amazingly close to the city the wilds of Hong Kong really were! :)

Bill said...

Yvonne,

You asked if I had any guesses as to what the insect is. Well,it most certainly looks like a wasp.

Out of curiosity, I searched for it online and found a similar wasp at the website, www.vespabicolor.net. It is apparently a species of "Potter" wasp. Well, I'm sure it has a sting that a hiker would remember...Personally, poisonous snakes are what frighten me. Searching online, I see that Hong Kong has quite a few venomous snakes, including deadly Kraits, King Cobras, Chinese Cobras, etc. I guess the chances of encountering one of these on a Hong Kong trail is unlikely, but still a reason to be alert.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi again Bill --

Thanks for the bug ID -- figured it's a wasp but was not sure what wasp.

And ya, I'm freaked out by poisonous snakes too. And again, yes, Hong Kong has quite a few of them. Actually, encountering them is not as unlikely as you may think -- I think I average a snake spotting every 10 hikes or so. But usually, they slither away before I can react and take photos! And those snakes are all over Hong Kong -- e.g., I've seen a cobra while hiking on Hong Kong Island!