Saturday, February 1, 2014

Bridge and Ways (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


As I pointed out in a previous entry for Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunts, one can go under Victoria Harbour. Of course, this is just one means to cross from one side of Hong Kong's major waterway to another; with other ways to do so including by way of various ferry routes.

But since there are no bridges connecting one side of Victoria Harbour to the other, I've had to look to other parts of Hong Kong to find appropriate photos for this week's Photo Hunt entry.  Fortunately, there are a variety as well as large number to choose from -- with an added bonus coming from many of them to be photogenic in their own way.

In the end, I settled for shots of the following (from top to bottom): Ting Kau Bridge and Tsing Ma Bridge (which, incidentally, happens to be the second longest bridge in the world) as viewed from Lido Beach; a stone bridge over Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir that I can't help taking photos of every time I'm in the area; and a rickety wooden bridge in Sai Kung's Tai Long Wan that I must admit to not wanting to go on the first time I saw it (but have since done so, and without any mishaps too)!

And BTW, Sandi, Gattina's had "bridges" as a Photo Hunt theme before -- but it's okay since I managed to to find a different way to work with that theme this week from the one I came up with back in July last year! ;b

15 comments:

Anne said...

These are fantastic photos! I love all the different bridge structures you've chosen, very creative.

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, Happy belated Chinese New Year (it's still Friday in California but I think you're ahead of us). Great photo collection. You definitely have a "way" with words in describing your take on this week's two themes. :) Love the rickety wooden bridge.

Have a great weekend.

Photo Cache said...

Happy Chinese New Year! Must be an exciting time to be in HK right now. Happy eating and celebrating.

When bridge comes into the theme, it's tough for me to go with any other than the obvious since I live around the Golden Gate Bridge.

magiceye said...

Lovely takes!!

YTSL said...

Hi Anne --

Thanks for your appreciation! :)

Hi Trekcapri --

Not belated at all. It's only the 2nd day of Chinese New Year as I write this -- so you have 10 more days to wish people Kung Hei Fatt Choi! :)

Hi Photo Cache (Ewok, right?) --

Actually, Chinese New Year is a quiet time in Hong Kong. Have been enjoying being on holiday nonetheless!

Re the Golden Gate Bridge: I've seen it it in person and also in many movies. It sure is a prominent San Francisco landmark. :)

Hi magiceye --

Thanks!!

Hi magiceye --

Aiyah Nonya said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai !!!
Those are nice bridges you got there.
I would not dare to cross that rickety bridge too

http://simply888here.blogspot.sg/2014/02/saturday-photo-hunt-bridges.html

Carver said...

Great take on the themes. I love the shots of each of the bridges you showed us.

Susan Demeter said...

Great pics, and I love that last bridge the best :) Something about its simplicity appeals to me :)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

My favorite photo would be the last bridge!
Have I really done bridge before??? Yikes! I really struggle to come up with new themes. Send me some suggestions!

Happy Hunting ~

YTSL said...

Hi Aiyah Nonya --

Kung Hei Fatt Choi to you too! Re that rickety bridge: the thing that scared me about it is that parts of it lean at an angle... But I figured that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have crossed it with no problem. So... I finally did use it myself! ;b

Hi Carver --

Thanks, and I'm glad I got to use those photos thanks to Photo Hunt! :)

Hi Sue --

Have to say I like all those bridges pretty much the same as far as photographing them is concerned. For crossing though, the stone bridge is my fave. :)

Hi Sandi --

No, it was Gattina who had Bridges before, so you're safe there! But okay, will send you some theme suggestions!

Gattina said...

What a nice combination of both themes !

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

It makes for an extra challenge to have not just one but two Photo Hunt themes each weeks. So am happy when I can combine them in ways that satisfy. :)

eastcoastlife said...

You show quite a good mix of bridges in Hong Kong. Luckily the rickety wooden bridge was not placed over a crevice. :P

Mike said...

Great shots!

YTSL said...

Hi EastCoastLife --

The thought of that rickety bridge being placed over a crevice makes me shiver!!!!

Hi Mike --

Thanks!