Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mural and New (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


How new are the murals in the above photographs?  To be honest, I'm not too sure re the Delay No More one on the wall of the Sai Kung branch of G.O.D. (as Goods of Desire is usually called -- and no, it's not pronounced "God" but "Gee Oh Dee"!) since I'm not a resident of Sai Kung and usually only go to that seaside town before and after hikes.

But since its website has a page talking about the "recent opening of our Sai Kung store" in October of this year, I figure that it's relatively new --and definitely newer than the two other murals that I'm featuring in this week's entry for Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunts; what with my having the photo of the paintings on the sides and underside of an overhead bridge in Tin Hau back in April, and the close-up shot of two footballers in action being part of a mural created to commemorate the 2008 Beijing Olympics

More than incidentally, those interested in language issues may be interested to learn that "delay no more" sounds very much like "f--- your mother" in Cantonese.  Thus it was that some years back, when a discussion ensued between one of my British colleagues and my English boss about whether a then new mall that had opened by the G.O.D. people was known as just Delay No More or as the Delay No More Mall, resulting in that phrase getting repeated several times over a few minutes, the local Cantonese colleagues in the vicinity nearly succumbed to fits of hysteria at the sound and sight of it all! ;D

14 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

hahaha.... re that "delay no more" = "f--- your mother" in Cantonese is hysterical! Gosh, the locals have such a great sense of humour.

I am going to check out G.O.D. the next time I am in HK. :D

magiceye said...

Lovely takes on the themes and GOD! :))

MaR said...

Great take on the themes and interesting language issue...!! always check with the locals... and pronounce properly.


Happy weekend.

new & mural

YTSL said...

Hi EastCoastLife --

Yes, Hong Kong people love their wordplay! Re G.O.D.: they have some fun products. I like their t-shirts. ;b

Hi magiceye --

Thanks! :)

Hi Mar --

The problem with Cantonese is not just getting the pronounciation right but also the tones too... ;(

Carver said...

That is hilarious about delay no more. Great collection of murals for this post. I've been watching a Danish show with subtitles and the subtitles crack me up. The characters say F--K a lot and the translation will be hell or damn or all sorts of different things but the subtitles never say that it is the F word it sounds like. I'm suspicious of the translation but I don't speak Danish so who knows.

Twisted Cinderella said...

What a fun take on the theme!

http://tc-twistedfairytale.blogspot.ca/2012/11/saturday-photohunt-mural-and-new.html

Luna Miranda said...

LOL! good to know--i won't ever say Delay No More out loud when in HK.:p Gee-Oh-Dee sounds like a fun place.

chica said...

uito legais!!Bela participação! beijos,chiac

Vane M. said...

Gostei demais dos cliques! Bela participação! Um abraço!

O mirante da imagem

YTSL said...

Hi Carver --

Subtitles can often make things milder. I remember watching a Taiwanese film in Hong Kong and I was roaring with laughter -- the only in the cinema doing so -- upon realizing that "vagina" was being translated into "damn" and "shit"... (My mother tongue, Hokkien, is related to Taiwanese.) ;b

Hi TC Harris --

Hope you got a laugh or chuckle out of it. :)

Hi Luna Miranda --

Yes, don't say Delay No More out loud in Hong Kong accidentally!

Hi Chica --

Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you found the post cool. :)

Hi Bia Hain -

Er... I tried Google translate and it translated your first comment as "I like too many clicks"! Oh dear... ;(

Gattina said...

I like the last mural it looks a little "naive" !

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

Yeah, I got the feeling from looking at it that it was the work of schoolchildren rather than professional artists -- and there's a charm to that. :)

Susan Demeter said...

Haha That is funny! I would be giggling too if I were a local and understood the language. Great pics for the themes :)

YTSL said...

Hi Sue --

And then was me -- giggling at the conversation but also laughing over hearing one of my local colleagues, a grown man, emitting high pitched "heeeheehee"-ing noises in the corner of the office in reaction to the conversation! ;b