Saturday, November 10, 2012

Kite and Breakfast (This week's Photo Hunt themes)



Talk about serendipity -- as I headed for the bus that would take me back to Sai Kung town for dinner after an enjoyable day of hiking last Sunday, I spotted two people with a kite nearby.  After I boarded the bus and got a seat in its upper deck, I looked through the window and saw that their kite was now in flight.  So I quickly fished out my camera and viola, got the photo at the top of today's entry for Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunts!

And should anyone wonder: yes, there are indeed quite a few kite-flying enthusiasts here in Hong Kong.  From what I've personally observed, among the favored kite-flying places in Hong Kong are the Plover Cove Reservoir's main dam and Shing Mun Reservoir's east dam.  But I've also seen at least one official kite-flying site at Tai Hang Tun in Clear Water Bay Country Park.

Some time back, a friend and I decided to go on a hike whose main course was the Lung Ha Wan Country Trail. First though, we decided to warm up with a stroll along the considerably easier and shorter Clear Water Bay Tree Walk. Over the course of that walk, we encountered a number of what seemed to be trees that were intent on gobbling up kites for breakfast, lunch and tea (and in-between snacks).  Put another way: we saw an initially puzzling number of kites stuck up in trees, looking much the worse for wear -- but, of course, all got revealed after we rounded a corner and discovered the existence of the very popular kite-flying site!

And speaking of breakfasts: here's including a photo of the kind of pre-hiking morning meal that I favor.  And yes, the pictured noodles are indeed instant noodles -- but they work at filling me up, giving me a bit of energy, and really do taste so good when topped with such as slices of Cantonese-style fish cakes and Chinese pickled vegetables mixed with a slice or two of red chili pepper! :b 

18 comments:

Vicki said...

Lovely looking kite and I loved your reference to the kite-eating trees.

MaR said...

Glad you had your camera ready for the kite too! a very different b'fast, I love muffins and scrambled eggs but I seldom have them. I would if I went hiking :) Happy weekend

photohunts

Raine said...

Hope you had enjoyed your hike for the day.

chica said...

Pipas são lindas! As tuas fotos também! abraço,chica

Felipa Monteverde said...

You had very lucky, to find a kite in the city!
Great shot!

YTSL said...

Hi Vicki --

Thanks, and I do hope that the kite-eating trees reference got you smiling and even chuckling. :)

Hi Mar --

Re breakfast: yeah, I get a real range here -- as I've also been known to enjoy English style ones! :)

Hi Raine --

Yes, I did -- thanks!

Hi Chica --

Ooo... I think I can guess what you wrote that without the help of a translating device: Kites that are so beautiful. And your photos too? :b

Hi Felipa --

Not that lucky as I was in the countryside part of Hong Kong when taking those kite photos. (And yes, Hong Kong does have large chunks of countryside!) ;b

Gattina said...

It's interesting to see what people eat as breakfast !

magiceye said...

Beautiful takes for the theme!

Carver said...

You got some good shots of kites flying. Trees certainly do tend to eat them. It is fun seeing what different people eat for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

Nice kite shots!

Have a good weekend.

Susan Demeter said...

That looks like an excellent pre-hike breakfast as it will keep the energy levels up :)

You should start a bagel shop, bet it would catch on! :)

my Photo Hunt blog entry!

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

It certainly is -- good choice of Photo Hunt theme there! :)

Hi magiceye --

Thank you. :)

Hi Carver --

I wish I had better shots of kite flying -- and yes, agree with you that it's fun to see what different people have for breakfast. :)

Hi JDeQ --

Thanks!

Hi Sue --

Yup, and I don't have to eat anything until after the hike -- which we usually follow up with an early dinner.

Re bagels: there apparently was a bagel shop in Hong Kong years back but, unfortunately, it didn't seem to catch on. Same thing with Krispy Kreme. OTOH, frozen yoghurt shops is popular along with bubble tea shops!

sarah bailey knight said...

hi ytsl,

Yummy looking breakfast. What's the drink, it looks refreshing.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I knew you would have some great photos of kites!
Enjoy the weekend~

alejna said...

I love learning what people eat for breakfast around the world. In the US, most breakfast food is super sweet. Sure, people do the egg/bacon/sausage thing, but that's typically a weekend thing, and not a daily thing.

Noodles for breakfast sound great to me!

Great kite photos, too.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

The drink is called "tong leng soey" in Cantonese -- i.e., iced lemon water. Add some sugar and you've got its ingredients -- and yes, I do find it refreshing and often order it at cha chaan teng if I want a non-caffeine alternative. :)

Hi Sandi --

Actually, I had fewer of them that I would have liked! ;b

Hi Alejna --

I grew up eating mainly savory breakfasts and still favor them on weekends but on weekdays, I have less time to eat breakfast, so usually go with sweet cereal or cereal bars, if I don't have fresh fruit. :)

eastcoastlife said...

Hongkongers seem to be working hard at all times, so I don't expect many kite flyers in HK. :P

YTSL said...

Hi EastCoastLife --

No, no, no -- I think many Hong Kongers work hard but also play hard! :b