Tuesday, November 27, 2012

From Wong Shek Pier to Chek Keng (Photo-essay)

Two summers ago now, Alejna of Collecting Tokens came over to Hong Kong for a conference. On the Saturday of her visit, we met up for a little hiking excursion that would take us from Wong Shek Pier to Chek Keng via To Kwa Peng.

That same day weekend, I wrote up a blog entry about that weekend's hiking (and) weather but it's only now that I'm going ahead and putting up a whole photo-essay about that hike which I think Alejna will agree was very enjoyable, even if undertaken on a day that was hotter and more humid than either of us would have wished for it to have been... ;b

The stone marker that tells us that we are in Wong Shek
(i.e., "Yellow Rock" in Cantonese)
 
 The windsurfers were out in earnest in the vicinity of
Wong Shek that beautiful afternoon

Both Alejna and I got excited at the sight of some crabs

A view that takes in a couple of isolated and now also 
abandoned and ruined -- but still largely standing 
-- structures at To Kwa Peng

Beautiful natural Hong Kong! :)

The green approach to To Kwa Peng

Land, water and sky makes for a pleasing combination
and composition to my mind :)

Who's going to yield -- man or cow? ;b

I usually have just eight photos in a photo-essay
but I can't resist throwing in this bonus shot here :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Take a look at mine if you have time: hkmovieposter.blogspot.com

YTSL said...

Hi F --

Thanks, am glad you love my blog. Checked out your profile and woah, you have a lot of blogs! ;b

Patrick Tinkham, FCD said...

Hey, great blog! I have to admit that I was taken aback at the natural scenery in Hong Kong. I had always had a picture of a large urban jungle, rather like Chicago. -- Pat

YTSL said...

Hi Pat --

Hong Kong definitely has its areas of concrete jungle but it really also does have large amounts of countryside -- much of which are designated country parks. To me, that's really one of the great things about it -- and yeah, I do try to get out into the countryside at least once a week. :)

alejna said...

Oh, how exciting! I'm just getting caught up with my blog reading, and what a lovely surpise to find! (The trouble with daily blog posting is that I tend to fall behind in my daily blog reading...)

Anyhow, I'm thrilled to see your photos from that hike. And I still owe you a post sharing photos of mine! That day was definitely a high point of my Hong Kong trip. (But, yeah, was it ever hot and humid!)

YTSL said...

Hi Alejna --

Great to see comments from you on this particular blog entry. :)

And yeah, I am still looking forward to seeing a post on your blog re this hike -- and in the meantime, will content myself with your statement that that day was definitely a high point of your Hong Kong trip. ;b