Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Venturing deep(er) into Plover Cove Country Park (Photo-essay)


For those looking forward to more 2012 HKIFF movie reviews: there will be more of those soon, I promise! But after my recent text laden blog post (and a day of work that involved a lot of writing), I'm in the mood for a picture laden entry. So here's continuing to document the same Northeastern Hong Kong hike that passed through both inhabited and abandoned villages early on -- but now with a photo-essay of a section during which the main sights to be had tended to be natural in nature... albeit with a couple of human-made and -posted signs thrown in for a laugh! ;b

Check out the poor falling figure looking like
it's diving
at an angle into flash food waters!

The day my friends and I passed through the area though,
there were little fear of any flash flooding taking place there!


Another warning sign found in the low lying area

Yes, I could imagine waters overflowing into this
flattish space in wetter seasons -- so it's best
to
venture into the area when it's dry (which

winter almost always is in Hong Kong)


Wouldn't you agree that the purple tinge
of the geology in the area really adds

to the beauty of the natural landscape?

The area where Plover Cove Country Park meets
Yan Chau Tong Marine Park is where I can't resist
pausing for a bit to drink in the beautiful scenery


The scenic hamlet of Sam A Tsuen is home to a
few eateries (including a
teahouse with
bookable beds for the night if one so wishes!)


Our simple but delicious lunch at Fook Lee Teahouse that day

To be continued... for yes, I did take a lot of photos on this 15 kilometer long hike! ;b

8 comments:

baroness radon said...

Worth 8,000 words!

YTSL said...

Hi baroness radon --

So... I'm calculating that each of my photos is worth 1,000 words to you... ;b

baroness radon said...

You got it, but the words are good too!

YTSL said...

Hi baroness radon --

Phew, am relieved to know that you value my words too! :D

sarah bailey knight said...

hi ytsl,

Hehe...since there isn't an X on the sign in the first photo maybe it could be thought to mean beware of flash floods and jump/dive into the water.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

I think you and the Hong Kong sign creators need to sit down and talk... ;b

Emilie said...

I love those warning signs along the hiking paths. I always think they exaggerate (as in highly your dangerous looking flash floods spot). I have also seen a 'beware of drowning one' with a hand poking up out of the water next to a tiny trickle of a stream! I think they just don't want to be liable for hikers who have no common sense!! http://landofnocheese.blogspot.com/2011/02/authority-that-cried-wolf.html

YTSL said...

Hi Emilie --

I do think they authorities in Hong Kong like to take a "better safe than sorry" approach. This having been said, I've seen how mountain streams can go from trickles to much more. I guess it's due to how quite a few of the mountain streams here are at such a steep incline -- and the heavy rains Hong Kong does get.