Friday, September 25, 2009

B-day musings

Who knows where
one's path in life will lead?

All I know is that I currently live
in a beautiful part of the world...

...and one good way of being grateful
for this state of affairs is to go about
appreciating and enjoying it as much as I can :)

Many years ago, an uncle memorably teased me about my then being at an age whereby I was too old for pigtails but too young for cocktails. Well, I am definitely old enough for cocktails (including my favorite vodka martini -- with olives in the mix for added flavor) now, thank you very much! And, in fact, I even am getting fairly comfortable with being labeled middle-aged these days (although -- no lie! -- as late as a year ago, a friend of friend mistook me for a student still!).

Also, unlike on my 21st and 30th birthdays, I have long passed feeling upset about hitting a landmark age and not having achieved what I had wished to have done by that stage in my life. In fact, I tend to no longer set goals for myself that have to be achieved by X date or Y year. And so much so that when such as prospective employers ask me "Where do you see yourself in five years?", I tell them honestly that I tend to not so much aim to be at a certain place within that particular period of time but, instead, evaluate where I am every six months or so and if I am happy enough with where I am, I stay on the same course, and if not, go about making the adjustments and changes I think are necessary at that point in time.

Moreover, right now as I write this, I still have no idea what I am going to do in the next few hours, only that I. Will. Not. Be. Working. Today -- having taken the day off on account of it being my birthday.

(At the same time though, I do know already at this point that I'm supposed to meet some friends for Peking Duck dinner this evening, attend a dance show tomorrow evening (with a friend in tow), then watch an Arsenal game with other friends later that evening, take in a screening of Clara Law's Floating Life on Sunday and attend a preview of a much-anticipated film on Tuesday evening (with still other friends)! But beyond that... and having to return to work on Monday... ;b )

To be sure, I am not so egoistical as to think the world does or even should revolve around me. And I try to pay my dues and be tolerant to a certain extent about things (and people!) I don't like because, well, life and the world can't be perfect however much one would like it to be. Furthermore, I try to not take advantage of others even while I do go about taking advantage of what I have and has been bestowed on me by fate, family, friends and others. In other words, I seek to pursue life and the enjoyment of it -- and in such a way that my doing so doesn't mean that others aren't able to do so too!


Kathie Smith said...

Well said. Happy birthday! Enjoy your long weekend!

duriandave said...

Happy birthday, YTSL! I wish I could celebrate with you. I'll buy you a drink the next time I see you in Hong Kong. ;D

sbk said...

Hi ytsl,

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you have enjoyable activities planned for your long weekend.

lissa said...

I like your perspective, I don't think age should define us or our goals. Plans are great but just living one day at a time is so much easier and less stressful

Have a wonderful, adventurous, stress-free, happy, healthy, & full of riches that you want and need, birthday

Glenn, kenixfan said...

Happy Birthday!

Reading the post carefully I gather that this was a milestone birthday? And I think I can guess which one, LOL!

No worries. I think your philosophy is very practical and admirable.

All the best!

YTSL said...

Hi Kathie --

Thank you -- and so far, so good re enjoying my long weekend. :)

Hi duriandave --

I'll hold you to that drink offer and will take you to a nice bar when you next come over to Hong Kong for a visit. :b

Hi sbk --

Thanks and yes, it's not a completely jam-packed long weekend -- by my standards -- but hopefully will be pretty enjoyable. :)

Hi Lissa --

Thanks for your commments and good wishes. They're much appreciated. :)

Hi Glenn --

Um, actually, I think I know what milestone birthday you're thinking of -- in which case I passed it a few years back! Honestly though, I started losing track of how old I am a few years past 30... it didn't seem to matter so much after that particular milestone b-day! :D

eliza bennet said...

Happy Birthday and I wish you many happy birthdays more with your loved ones in your beloved city :)

jams o donnell said...

A very happy birthday to you

s h a w said...

Happy B'day, Yvonne!
It must be good hiking HK in autumn.

A. said...

A very happy birthday to you! Because of that, I can even forgive you the Arsenal match. :)

YTSL said...

Hi "eliza bennet" --

Thanks for your b-day wishes and "beloved city" is about right, I guess. ;)

Hi Jams --

Thanks -- and yeah, it was a pretty good one, actually! :)

Hi Shaw --

Alas, September is not yet really autumn in Hong Kong. I had thought of hiking yesterday but it was too hot! (BTW, do I know you by another name??)

Hi A. --

Teehee -- and well, "at least" (for you) the Arsenal match isn't taking place on my actual birthday... ;b