Saturday, October 7, 2023

Checking out the Miss You Much Leslie and other film related exhibitions at the Hong Kong Heritage Museum (Photo-essay)

It's been years since I visited the Hong Kong Heritage Museum.  After finally doing so earlier this week, I regret not having done so months earlier; this especially so since if I had done so just a little more than a month ago, I'd have been able to catch the Out of Thin Air: Hong Kong Film Art and Costumes special exhibition which ran for four months.  And having missed out on that, I was determined not to also miss out on viewing the Miss You Much Leslie special exhibition commemorating this year having been the 20th year of superstar singer-actor Leslie Cheung's passing (which is scheduled to end this upcoming Monday (October 9th).  
 
As it so happened, when I went to the museum, I found some nice surprises!  Firstly, entrance to the museum's currently free! (I recall it previously being HK$10 for general admissions and HK$25 for special exhibitions, like the one on Monet back in 2016 and that on the works of Studio Ghibli back in 2014.)  Secondly, I found that a number of the museum's other exhibitions have film connections too.  
 
For the record: they don't only include the special exhibition on Bruce Lee and the installation in the Jin Yong Gallery (which I had already seen on a previous visit) but also a special display on Kwan Tak-hing (which opened in May 2021) and the new Hong Kong Pop 60+   permanent exhibition on Hong Kong popular culture from 1945 to the early 2000s (which, as far as I could see, went up to at least 2018, since I saw clips in it from Still Human)...

Outside the Miss You Much Leslie exhibition space
 
Many of the costumes and photos in the exhibition got me
(fondly) recalling attending a Leslie Cheung concert
in Atlantic so many years ago now...
 
Really miss you much, Leslie :S
 
Before Leslie, there was Bruce Lee -- and yes, I must say 
I was surprised to see the colors used (t)here since
they are associated with Hong Kong pro-democracy protests
(along with Bruce Lee's famous "Be water" quote)!
 
And before Bruce Lee, there was 
martial artist-film star Kwan Tak-hing
 
Bruce Lee's image also is on the front of the Hong Kong Pop 60+
exhibition (and the exhibition also features Leslie Cheung content)
 
A display in the music section of the exhibition (Photography 
was not allowed for copyright reasons in the film section :( )
 
What with many Hong Kong entertainers dabbling in more than
one field though, the music section still had film connections
(E.g., that white gown was worn by superstar singer-actress 
Anita Mui, the subject of the 2021 Anita biopic)

No comments: