Friday, September 1, 2023

Supermoons and even a super typhoon can deliver temporary psychological relief to political oppressed Hong Kong

  
A blue moon that's not that blue? ;b
 
At the time of writing, the T10 signal is effectIt was hoisted around three hours ago -- the first time that a T10 signal has been hoisted since Severe Typhoon Mangkhut scored a direct hit on Hong Kong in September 2018But even before this was so, Super Typhoon Saola was serving up notice that it was near Hong Kong and supoer powerful.
 
I've been at home all day -- unlike some people who ventured out and recorded some unusual scenes earlier in the day before it turned literally dark prematurely.  About all I've personally experienced by way of Super Typhoon Saola is hearing the wind wailing like a banshee outside and causing ghostly noises to emanate from my building's elevator shafts -- which is creepy but no biggy in the grand scheme of things.  
 
Heck, I've not even had the experience of feeling and seeing my building sway (unlike some people here in Hong Kong; a fate that is more likely to befall those living on higher floors (like happened to friends who lived on the 20- and 30-something floors of buildings back in 2018)!  Something else that those living on higher floors and with views are able to experience in typhoons: see and get pretty mindboggling scenes of the effects of the typhoon on the surrounding area; something that, in all honesty, I am not all that upset about not being able to do!  This not least since they do tend to get shared quite a bit on/via social media!

A natural phenomenon that I do enjoy viewing with my own eyes though are full moons, particularly supermoons -- of which this past August has had two!  I'd gone out specially to view the first one back at the very beginning of the month and last night, I went out again with the intent to view the second -- only to find that despite still being far away at the time, Super Typhoon Saola had already made the skies over Hong Kong pretty cloudy.

But as it turned out, August's second supermoon had actually been visible in the sky the night before -- and I had taken photos of it while waiting for a bus that evening!  I guess part of the date confusion came because my mind was elsewhere at the end of August; what with the final day of the month being the fourth anniversary of the Prince Edward MTR attack on civilians by the riot police.

Frankly, in recent years, I've found memories of August 31st, 2019 so upsetting that they are really tire as well as stress me out.  So today being a typhoon day actually came as a relief -- because it meant that there would be no news of additional political arrests, friends and relatives of activists being taken in for questioning by the police, judges finding defendants guilty of matters which just a few years ago were not considered crimes and sentencing them to years of imprisonment.  And while we're focused on natural phenomena, let's go one better and just admire my photo at the top of this blog post of a beautiful supermoon, shall we? :S

No comments: