Sunday, December 5, 2021

A kaito ride made memorable by the sightings of egrets galore and their fish prey! (Photo-essay)

It used to be that I'd hike all year round in Hong Kong.  In recent years, however, I've joined the ranks of those who don't hike in the summer months; with the heat proving too much to bear so that I'm often content to stay indoors pretty much all day.  (I think the pandemic also has made me more inclined to stay at home than previously.)  But today was the kind of beautiful weather day that I wish Hong Kong had more of -- and made me so glad that I had agreed to spend part of it out hiking with three friends.

Having enjoyed the hike from Shui Long Wo to Shum Chung with another friend back in February, I decided to reprise the excursion today.  And once again, I really did enjoy going through that section of the Sai Kung Peninsula.  Still, the highlight of today has to be the kaito ride my friends and I took out of Sham Chung -- not to Wong Shek Pier this time but, instead, in the other direction over to Ma Liu Shui (the Tolo Harbour pier from which kaitos to Tung Ping Chau also depart and return).  And what made this particular kaito ride so special was the egret sightings that its passengers were treated to, eight photos of which I'm sharing on this post! :)
 
An egret in flight
 
Multiple egrets in flight!
 
The egrets have landed -- sort of!
 
This was actually what they were doing -- catching fish that were
 jumping out of the water as another kaito literally made waves!
 
A rare sight to behold -- and, even more so, 
successfully photograph! :b
 
Have you ever seen anything like this before?!
 
And then the egrets noticed that the
kaito I was on
also was similarly churning the waters!
 
Truly, it'll be a long time before I forget these sights
-- and  I think you'll agree that they've made for
some pretty cool, if not downright amazing, pics! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I have experienced something similar about two decades ago. But that was on a Silvermine Bay ferry. The ferry just sailed pass Kau Yi Chau. The triple decker's wake forced some fish to hop above the surface. A small flock of common terns followed the ferry and had had a good time of picking on some unexpected snacs.

Not that much of chaos as the egrats you experienced, BTW, as those big birds may fight for their chow despite its abundance.

Oh, if you have some spare time, go to John Holmes's birding site (https://johnjemi.blogspot.com/). He managed to take a few shots of a black kite going after a big bill crow, similar to the dog-fight I watched in Cheung Chau a few years ago.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

I've seen fish hopping out of the water before but never in such quantity. I've also seen a flock of birds following a boat before (e.g., on kaito rides between Chek Keng and Wong Shek Pier). But I've never witnessed such an obvious feeding frenzy before.

Thanks for sharing your Silvermine Bay ferry experience -- and also about John Holmes' birding blog. Have bookmarked it and plan to explore it further! :)