Saturday, November 20, 2021

Hong Kong -- where danger continues to lurk and the difficult times are far from over, for wild boar and humans alike

 
Who's more dangerous -- wild boars or humans?
 
 
At the beginning of this week, an Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) official disclosed that the authorities were contemplating relaunch a license scheme to allow members of the public to hunt wild pigs in a bid to control the boar population in urban areas.  He also stated that staff from that department with the word "Conservation" in it were set to operate five times a month to "humanely" euthanise wild boars which entered urban areas.  
 
 
 
In the wake of this tragedy has emerged art work from Hong Kongers that give a good sense of what they feel about this government action.  Among them are Ah To's "New Hong Kong" (inspired by a famous Tiananmen Square Massacre photograph) and those that draw clear associations between wild boar and human Hong Kongers, and both their lives and voices being taken lightly by the authorities.
 
 
And days after he was obliged to remove a statue of the late Nobel Peace Laureate, Liu Xiaobo, from the space by one of his stores, Chickeeduck owner Herbert Chow announced that his 31-year-old pro-democracy retail chain will leave the Hong Kong market in the second half of next year citing “disturbances from unknown evil forces”.  A reminder: last week was by no means the first time that Chow and Chickeeduck had had a run in with the authorities.  For example, "in June last year, Chickeeduck was told to remove a statue of pro-democracy Lady Liberty at a branch at D Park in Tsuen Wan. It later moved out of the store after failing to renew its lease."
 
As per the Hong Kong Free Press report: "Chow said that the brand’s departure from the Hong Kong market did not mean the company would shut down. He said that he would “take a rest” after an “orderly withdrawing” from Hong Kong, and that he had “no intention to leave” the city."  Even so, the decision is a shocking as well as major one, and made after having had to endure no small amount of harassment -- presumably since he openly came out in support of the pro-democracy movement.

As Chow explained, "This decision was not made for me, this decision was made for the company’s staff… considering the daily torture they endured.  [More specifically, Chickeeduck] received hundreds of nuisance calls per month during peak hours, he said, while some employees reported “being followed."
 
At the same time though, Chow maintains that his professional decision is not related to his personal safety. "I took this step not because I was worried that I might get arrested, I never thought that I had violated the law", he insists.  The Chickeeduck owner does admit though that "his wife had had told him to “tone [things] down.  Still, he said, he "could not stand injustice" and "when it comes to Hong Kong, our home, how can [I] shut up?"

3 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never seen wild bore.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

The wild boar issue is very complicated. From my previous experiences with these beasts in various areas on the Island (Shar Wan Drive close to Cyberport Road, Victoria Road, Lugard Road......), they genrally do not want to get close to us. If not provoked and given sufficient space and distance, they would usually walk away peacefully. Maybe I am lucky enough not to meet a mother boar with her piglets.

Anyway, if you pay attention to the environment out in the country parks, or wooded slopes, you may be able to see their traces, whether it is a hole they dug for roots, or some flattened grass where they slept previously. They are everywhere.

For injured cop, I guess he was dumb enough to provike the boar........

My principle of meeting wild animals is to keep the distance and no sudden movements. It would be best to avoid making any noice too. When introduced to someone else's pets, I would allow them to approach me and sniff me out, but I would not approach them as they may see me a threat. On the same principle, I would not touch them first, especially dogs.

The biggest wild animal that I have encountered are water buffalos on Lan Tau. Walked around a younger individual in Cheung Sha Ha Tsuen beach two years ago. This had been a very peaceful encounter. We were on the beach and walking towards each other. I stopped when he was around twenty metres ahead. He kept walking towards me and passed me by within an arm's length.

T

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Bet you see other wild creatures in your neck of the woods though. What would they be?

Hi T --

I've seen wild boar a number of times while out hiking (or on the way to hikes). I've even seen groups involving a mother and her piglets a few times. Have never found them to be aggressive.

I've also seen water buffaloes and feral cows in the Hong Kong countryside. Again, hey don't bother me. Now, monkeys as well as feral dogs on the other hand... those are scary and awful to my mind, especially the monkeys!