Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spotting Totoro!


A Hong Kong mobile phone service
billboard advertisement from a year or so ago

Earlier this evening, I renewed acquaintance with old movie friends. Firstly, courtesy of this year's edition of the HK Summer IFF (the mini version of the Hong Kong International Film Festival that takes place around Easter each year), I got to watch Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman on a big screen for the first time.

My maiden viewing of the film took place before I became a born-again Hong Kong movie fan -- so I didn't have a clue then who, say, Sylvia Chang or Wu Chien-lien were. But although I am pretty sure that at least a couple of my subsequent re-viewings of that wonderful family-oriented dramedy took place after I also became a fan of the works of Hayao Miyazaki, it's only this time around -- undoubtedly helped by the fact that I watched it on a big screen -- that I got to noticing that the film also has quite a bit of Totoro in it: in the form of Totoro plushes in a toy store that Wu Chien Lien and Winston Chao go to along with a big Tonari na Totoro (i.e., My Neighbor Totoro) film poster and a couple of other Totoro plushes in the youngest daughter's bedroom! ;b

And yes, I realize that it's a sure sign of movie geekery that I not only love spotting movie locations and places I've previously been to in movies but also references to other movies in movies! In any event, for those who also like to do the latter, here's going ahead and pointing out that the first time I spotted a Totoro in a non-Studio Ghibli movie actually was in A Roof With a View (Hong Kong, 1993) -- specifically, in the form of an O-Totoro backpack on Tony Leung Ka Fai's back! And yes, it is indeed scary that this is something I remember well -- and even though I viewed that movie quite a few years ago too! ;b

2 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

Hi ytsl,

You have a good eye for Totoro spotting!!!!

Do you have Totoro slippers or backpack?

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Confession: I have a pair of Totoro slippers... all ready to be used after my Hello Kitty slippers finally wear out! ;b