Saturday, June 22, 2013

Daydream and Sculptures (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


Ever since I was a kid, I've dreamnt of visiting foreign lands and having wonderful experiences there.  In my younger days, I tended to look West and daydream about visiting many places in Europe and North America.  But after having ended up spending the majority of my adult life thus far living in Europe (specifically Britain) and North America (more specifically, Wisconsin and Philadelphia), I guess it's inevitable that the past decade or so has seen many of my daydreams centering on the Eastern part of the world -- in particularly, living in Hong Kong and visiting Japan.

Over the past couple of years, I've been based in Hong Kong and made three trips to Japan.  The most recent -- almost a year ago now! -- included a visit to Hakone, with its beautiful Lake Ashi, various cool modes of transportation (including a "pirate ship" and cable car), sulphurus Owakudani, and wonderful Hakone Open-Air Museum which I would love to revisit at some point in time.

I've already highlighted some of the art (particularly sculptures) in a photo-essay that can be found here but this week's choice of Photo Hunt themes by Sandi and Gattina give me the opportunity to draw attention to a few more, including British sculptor Antony Gormley's amusing Close and Hungarian-French artist Marta Pan's Floating Sculpture 3 which I felt had Zen-like qualities, particularly when viewed in the surroundings in which it's been installed at the Japanese museum whose grounds and art cannot but invite daydreaming.

Speaking of daydreams or just dreams in general: I'm sure it's beyond the wildest dreams of many to imagine a museum that's equipped with its own hot spring foot bath.  But the Hakone Open-Air Museum really does have such a facility -- one which I, of course, took advantage of to soothe my footsies made sore by the kilometers and miles of tramping about I did that day and other days on my most recent Japan trip. :b

20 comments:

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, wow a built in hot spring foot bath. What a fantastic idea. Awesome photos and great take on the two themes.

Have a great weekend!

MaR said...

What unique sculptures! the floating one looks like a giant fortune cookie...Love the idea of the hot spring foot bath for tired feet! to answer your question: yes, the public can touch, pat, go under the sculpture as they wish. Enjoy your weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the first sculpture. It's very fascinating.

Gattina said...

This sculpture in the grass is just amazing !

YTSL said...

Hi Trekcapri --

Don't you wish every big museum would have a hot spring foot bath? ;b

Hi Mar --

Hahaha, never thought of that floating sculpture looking like a giant fortune cookie. Was thinking more of crescent moons and such! :D

Hi ewok1993 --

That's the one by Antony Gormley. I linked to the sculptor's website.

But here's also sharing a link to a piece about his work:-
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/jun/23/faces-bodies-antony-gormley

Enjoy!

Hi Gattina --

Looks like you're a fan of Antony Gormley's work too! :b

LifeRamblings said...

great combination for both themes and i love the first sculpture. how cool.

Annie said...

I love your photos and your stories. I agree with Ewok, there's something very intriguing about that first sculpture. And so glad you found a nice place to soak your feet!

Carver said...

Your posts are always so interesting and well written and the photographs were perfect for combining the themes.

YTSL said...

Hi Life Ramblings --

Thanks, glad you approve. :)

Hi Annie --

Thanks for reading as well as looking. More re the hot spring foot bath: I'm glad it had the views that he did. :b

Hi Carver --

Your kind words are making me blush! Thanks as ever for visiting. :)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm fairly sure your first sculpture would bring some debate around here, a small conservative community.
When I was younger I use to dream of making a time machine so I could go back and visit the past.
Coffee is on.

Team Tabby said...

Such unique and thoughtful sculptures! Thanks for sharing.

Susan Demeter said...

My Dad was in love with Japan and would visit as often as he could. Great sculptures, the first is definitely unique! And yes I too love Van Gogh. I find his art inspiring and food for dreaming :)

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Yes, well, that first sculpture is cheeky (in more ways than one!). Re your childhood daydreams: well, sometimes, when I'm visiting old places and buildings (e.g., Hampton Court Palace in England or the Forbidden City in Beijing), I feel like I've been transported back in time! :)

Hi Team Tabby --

Glad you enjoyed looking at the photos of them. :)

Hi Sue --

I know how your dad feels. One part of me thinks I should visit other countries but another part of me just wants to plan more visits to Japan! ;b

Billy said...

I hope I can do the same as the first photo!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I just love that first sculpture. That is fantastic.

YTSL said...

Hi Billy --

Hahahaha at your comment. My own feeling is that it'd be uncomfortable to lie face first on the grass, especially without any clothing on! ;D

Hi Kara --

I think the setting helps make it look as great as it does. ;b

magiceye said...

Lovely captures! Especially the 1st one!

YTSL said...

Hi magiceye --

That first sculpture does seem to be a favorite among visiting Photo Hunters! ;b

eastcoastlife said...

Aren't you glad that your dreams come true!? The first photo is too cool. I love it too!!

YTSL said...

Hi EastCoastLife --

Yes, I really do feel blessed that some of my dreams have come true and I've been able to realize many of my life's goals. :)