Thursday, May 2, 2013

On Tin Hau's Birthday

Tossing paper offerings to the Goddess 
of the Sea on Tin Hau's Birthday

There was a festive air in Joss House Bay that day

Dancing lions and colorful flags are a must 
on such celebratory occasions :)

Three years ago, I took a ferry to Joss House Bay to check out the Tin Hau's Birthday celebrations at Hong Kong's oldest and largest Tin Hau Temple.  Each year since, I've thought about taking a day off from work to visit Joss House Bay on Tin Hau's Birthday again -- only to feel when the day approaches that there's too much to do at the office to do so. 


Looking back at the collection of Tin Hau's Birthday photos I took three years ago, I really hope that next year will see Tin Hau's Birthday falling on a weekend.  Failing that, I am hereby resolving to take the day off to join in the celebrations -- maybe at a different location such as Shap Pat Heung in Yuen Long district, which also sees major celebrating on that festive day.

In the meantime, here's posting up three more photos of Tin Hau's Birthday celebrations from my collection.  And if it weren't already obvious, I really do think it's very cool that there are people in "Asia's World City" who continue to take part in traditional activities that go back many centuries, not just decades. :)  

3 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sound like a great place to see.

Coffee is on

sarah bailey knight said...

Looks like a fun celebration. I hope you can take off for it next year. Would you go to one place or try for more?

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

A great occasion and place to check out... :)

Hi sarah sbk --

I'd go to just one place. Don't want to rush things. And there'll be a lot going on in the one place I choose. :)